Tutorial Tuesday: Knockoff Delancey Felt Petal Pillow from Horchow

Last week I had the amazing opportunity to share this tutorial over at Someday Crafts!  I am excited to put it up on my own site now!

Knockoff Delancey Felt Petal Pillow from Horchow

Horchow sells this pillow for $145.00!  I thought it was beautiful but not affordable so I decided to make a knockoff and share the tutorial with you!

A free printable pattern for the flower pieces can be downloaded here.

To make the petals, I cut 1 inch wide strips of felt, cut the long strip into pieces slightly bigger than the petal pattern piece and then cut out the petals. I did not count how many pieces I needed but it is a big stack!  You can cut more as you go!

Lay the petals around the circle and sew them on. Make 4 layers of petals this way.

Sew a few stitches by hand to give the top petals shape and attach them to the center of the flower by hand stitching it.

Now, for the pillow, cut 1-14×14 inch square and 2-9×14 inch rectangles of the felt. I also cut 1-14×14 inch square and 2-9×14 inch rectangles of lace to add some texture to the pillow.

Stack a 9×14 inch felt piece and a lace piece and hem one of the 14 inch sides. Then, do the same with the other 9×14 inch pieces.

Now layer felt, lace, lace, felt and overlap the 2 back pieces as shown in the picture above and pin it in place. Then, sew around the outside of the fabric pieces and turn the pillow cover right-side-out.

1. Hot glue flower bases on pillow, close to each other so petals can overlap.
2. There are 4 open spaces in the center of the pillow between the flowers.
3. Cut out more of the top petals and sew 2 of the together.
4. Hot glue the top petal pairs into the 4 spaces.

Stuff pillow with your choice of filling or a pillow form.

Thanks for stopping by!!

1. Nancy says

Love this pillow. I am sure it is user error, but I cannot download the pattern pieces … will you re-post that link in the comments? Can’t wait to start.

2. Britta Hill says

Just so I am clear, the flowers are sewn with a machine, not by hand correct? Because I would love to attempt this but I do not sew (machine)

3. kp says

The pillows look amazing.I would like to tr them but could you pls let me know the fabric type used for the flowers and for the pillow?
    and the stores that carry these fabrics?

Hi KP,
      I used felt to make the flowers and the pillow. For the pillow, I covered the felt with lace to add some texture. Any fabric store such as Joann’s or Hobby Lobby would carry felt and lace by-the-yard. Happy sewing!

Tonia, this is one of the best pillow knockoffs I’ve seen! It looks like a lot of work, but oh, so worth it. It’s just beautiful! Thanks for such a great tutorial and your generosity in sharing the pattern with us. I’m pinning this one!

I still can’t get over this pillow! Thank you for sharing your project on Sew Woodsy last week. As you already know I featured your pillow today! Hope you’ll join us again tomorrow!

What a beautiful project! I had to look at the names on the pictures to even know which one was yours! So amazing. Will I have the patience for this? I hope so! Looks like it took a long time.

This is really pretty. Wonderful tutorial!!!

would LOVE for you to link this up at my Link Party, Once Upon a Weekend on my blog Family Ever After. The party starts on Fridays and lasts all week.

Here’s the link if you’re interested:www.familyeverafter.blogspot.com

Also, if you have a list of favorite link parties, I’d love to be included on Fridays. Thanks a ton! Have an awesome day!!!

Oooooh! This is a beautiful pillow and wonderful tutorial! I’d love it if you’d stop by my blog and link this to my Home and Family Friday linky party!

WOW! This pillow is beyond amazing and looks to be beyond time consuming (but totally worth it)! I’m your newest follower (#400) and I’d love if you would join us over at Sew Woodsy and link this project up!

This is amazing – not only is it as good (if not better) than the original – one could actually lay their head on it! Some of these pillows out in Blogland have so many embellishments, I can’t imagine using it for its original intention. There is no pillow in my home that can’t be used for laying your head upon!

I am soo impressed with this project. I wish I could look at something and replicate it like this. What a talent! Great job! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us.