{Tutorial Tuesday} Floating Acorn Candles

I am still loving the acorns in my yard and had to come up with another acorn project (and I’m sorry but there might be more to come).  I was looking at my candle supplies and the acorn caps and remember seeing a post about mini candles made in bottle caps.  I thought that these acorns would look great as candles but I wasn’t sure how because they are not flat on the bottom.  Then, I came across floating acorn candles on esty and I thought, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
I poked the acorn caps into a large piece of styrofoam to keep them in place while pouring in the hot wax.
I placed a chunk of wax on a spoon and melted it over a flame.
Then, I poured the wax in the acorn caps and held the wick in place until the wax hardened and the wick stayed.  I added green candle tint to 2 of the caps and yellow to the other 2.  After the wax has hardened, trim the wick.
They cannot be burned like this because they are not sitting flat plus I’m not sure if the acorn cap would burn.
So, put them in a pretty bowl of water and let them float!  I did not burn any of these yet but I do not think they will burn long because of how small they are.

An update…this morning, I added more wax to each acorn candle so that they were completely full.  The wax settled into a cup shape overnight.  Then, I put one burning and timed it.  The candle burned for 14 minutes but I am sure that completely depends on the size of the candle.

Thanks for stopping by today!
I’m linking up to these parties also under my Link Parties Tab.
Savvy Southern Style

Todays Creative BlogTip Junkie handmade projects

Due to stolen content, I have found it necessary to only show a snippet of my blog posts in my feed. Thank you for understanding that I want to keep the content I work hard to create on my website where it is originally published: thegunnysack.com

Comments

1. Sheri says

2 questions:
    1 – Did you use the wicks with the metal disk on the bottom, or did you just use a piece if wick?
    2 – I can’t imagine sitting there holing them all until they harden. How long did that take?

I used the wicks with the metal disks. The ones I used are in the second photo. I don’t remember how long it took for the wax to harden (I made these acorn candles in 2011) but it only has to harden enough for the wick to stay in place, not completely harden. Best of luck! ~Tonia

2. Linda says

Just suggestion..but DON’T use such a big wick next time..that is why they burn SO quickly..the bigger the wick, the hotter the flame and the faster they burn out!

I love these! I’d love to make some but although I have a ton of acorns, I can’t find any caps :( Maybe the wrong kind of trees? Not sure. But I’m bookmarking this in case I find some!

Dropping by from Fingerprints on the Fridge.

I love these! Thanks for sharing. Mhy friend at work was complaining about all the acorns in her yard. I’m going to have her gather me some!

So stinkin’ cute! Little acorn hats are so adorable and now, thanks to you, they can be a candle. You are very creative! I saw your post over at Savvy Southern STyle.

Yet, another creative idea!Seriously, you should work for like the Acorn Association (if there is such a thing). I have to tell you your little acorn garland is still on my mind….so much so the other day on my run I was paying more attention to people’s yards then I was to my run (which could have proven dangerous). There is one house down the street that I remmeber had TONS of acorns last year I’ve been stalking them..haha

So that is why you have been gathering acorns! :) What a fun idea! These would be so cute floating around in glass vases for a fun fall-themed party! Oh and I like how you timed how long it burned!