{Spa Party} Lavender Bath Salts

ย Spa week recipe number three is for bath salts! There’s nothing quite like relaxing in a tub of warm water! We will not be bathing at the spa party but I wanted to make these for the guest to take home. This recipe is easy to make and can be given as a Christmas gift. I made the bath salts lavender scented and colored them blue although it seems like they should be lavender in color. But I wanted the color to match the spa party and the scent to be relaxing so I did this combination.

I used 3/4 cup of sea salt, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of epsom salt, 2 tablespoons baking soda, a couple drops of lavender essential oil and a couple drops of blue food coloring. I got the recipe from Martha Stewart’s Homemade Bath Salts post. According to Martha the salts help to soothe tired muscles and reduce inflammation and the baking soda soften waters and alleviates skin irritation.

Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Add the essential oil and color (if desired) and stir until evenly distributed.

Then, using a funnel I put the bath salts into test tubes. I had a hard time finding test tubes. There are many places where they are available online but the shipping would’ve been expensive in order to get them in time for the party. I found these test tubes at Michaels on clearance for 38 cents each. They had Halloween candy in them and they only had these 6 left. I threw away the candy (my kids have enough candy!!), washed the test tubes and spray painted the lids silver.

Then, I printed bath salt labels, cut them out and glued them to the test tubes. You can download the free bath salts printable labels HERE. They aren’t fancy and don’t even have an outline but at 2:00 in the morning the creative juices aren’t really flowing!

For the party, I put the test tubes in a old glass candle holder with epsom salt in the bottom to hold them in place.

Are you a “bath person” or do you find it to be a waste of time?

Although I was not compensated for this post, I purchased the supplies for a sponsored post that I am doing with Collective Biasโ„ข and the recipe will be part of my sponsored Pampering Spa Party.

Due to stolen content, I have found it necessary to only show a snippet of my blog posts in my feed. Thank you for understanding that I want to keep the content I work hard to create on my website where it is originally published: thegunnysack.com

Comments

1. Giulia says

Hello there,
    Is there any substitute for Epsom salt? It is really hard to find it over here where I live
    Thanks in advance

Hi Giulia,
      I do not know of a substitute for Epsom salt. I tried doing a brief online search and all of the recipes I found call for Epsom salt. Best of luck!
      ~Tonia

I had a hard time finding test tubes. There are many places where they are available online but the shipping wouldโ€™ve been expensive in order to get them in time for the party. I found these test tubes at Michaels on clearance for 38 cents each. They had Halloween candy in them and they only had these 6 left. I threw away the candy (my kids have enough candy!!), washed the test tubes and spray painted the lids silver.

2. Kelli Dabney says

Hi there! I love your spa ideas and made a few of them today for my mops steering team and a thank you gift. I was wondering what fond you used for the labels? I’ve put the bath salts in a 4 oz jar just like the other 2 things I’ve made from your spa jar. Of course this label won’t fit on the jar I’m using. :-)

As a massage therapist I love anything to do with R & R for me, my family, friends, and my clients Baking soda helps restore the skins pH balance, furthermore cornstarch is wonderful for softening water and leaving the skin silky smooth. I had a recipe for bath bombs (citric acid, essential oils, cornstarch and I think baking soda and a base oil.) and also for an oatmeal milk bath. It made a bit of a mess in the tub but it feels oh so wonderful. I used powered buttermilk, which could easily be added to this recipe the fatty acids in it are awesome for skin. I love home-made and organic and am always looking for new ideas as freebies or gifts for special occasions. Last Christmas I did the aloe infused socks for all my December clients but it feels like so much more when you make it yourself!

4. Rachele says

Made this but added some tea bags to it. I noticed the jars were building up pressure inside. It’s been two weeks, any ideas?

Oh no, Rachele! That didn’t happen to me but I wonder if it is something in the tea bags reacting with the baking soda?

5. Talia says

This is so perfect. I made these for a present for my neighbors who are moving and they loved it. I also used it and they are amazing. I scented all of mine peppermint which was nice and relaxing for the holidays. Be careful though! The sugar scrub is slippery!

6. WENDY EGRES says

You can get test tubes through Steve Spangler Science they are called baby soda bottles, and they are a pretty good size and fairly reasonable