Spa In A Jar ~ DIY Valentine’s Day Gift In A Jar

A gift in a jar will not only impress the recipient but it is also fun to make! I am taking the gift jar idea a bit further by combing it with Valentine’s Day ideas. Last week, I shared the Ice Skating Date In A Jar. This week I am showing how to make a Spa In A Jar so you can have a relaxing spa date at home! I have some home spa treatment recipes from previous posts so I included them in this mason jar.

A Spa In A Jar could be given for many occasions besides Valentine’s Day! My teen saw me making it and said she would love to have it when I was done. If you are making this for a date, be sure to make two jars so that you can each use all the treatments!

I used a Kerr wide mouth, quart size mason jar to hold everything. I gathered together a face cleansing cream, lip balm, hair strengthening mud mask, lotion, razor, mini pebble candles (from here), nail clippers, nail file, bath bomb and chocolate truffles. I also included the following home spa treatments that I made myself: Lavender Bath Salts, Maple Brown Sugar Scrub, Sugar Hand Scrub and Peppermint Tea Foot Soak. You can click on each one for the recipe and links to the printable labels.

Slowly add the items to the jar with the content labels facing the outside so that the recipient can easily see what is in the jar. It took several attempts to get everything to fit into the jar and I kept adjusting it until it looked right. Once it was all in, I printed the Spa In A Jar label and cut a length of ribbon which I attached to the jar. You can download the free printable here. I printed it by choosing “wallet size” and it was perfect.

Let’s take a little spin around the jar so that you can see it from all sides.

Wondering what else you could put in this jar? How about a face mask, lip scrub, foot scrub, pore strips, massage oil, perfume, hand cream, foot lotion, socks, eye mask and tea light candles. I am going to try to find some mini sized spa items for men so that I can assemble a jar that is specifically for men. Not that any of these items are too flowery or girly but I’m sure a guy would appreciate receiving products with scents geared toward men.

Mini ContainersThere have been a lot of questions about the exact containers I used so I purchased another package for this photo. I should’ve taken a picture before I painted the original ones but I didn’t even think it of. I found these containers at the Family Dollar in one of the food aisles as a hanging extra. You know the little things that are hanging between the items on the shelves? Each container holds 2.4 oz and they cost $1.00 for the 8 pack.

A fluffy bathrobe and cozy slippers would be the perfect things to give along with the Spa In A Jar!

If you love this mason jar post, here are some more to check out:
Peppermint Pampering Gift In A Jar

Peppermint Pampering Gifts In A Jar

Pedicure In A Jar

Pedicure In A Jar

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to The Gunny Sack to have future blog posts delivered to via email.

Comments

1. What great gift ideas. I’ve been collecting mason jars and the cupboard has runneth over! I’m going to start making gifts using some of your ideas and recipes. Karen

2. Brooke says:

Love this so much! Our church group girls are making these for their Mom’s for Mothers Day! Thank you for sharing everything! I printed all the labels on sticker paper! :) So glad I came across this on Pinterest.

Brooke

3. I think the admin of this site is really working hard for his web site, because here
    every material is quality based material.

4. I’ve seen something similar to this before, but never so well executed as this! I LOVE it :D it is an adorable AND practical gift! I was inspired by yours, and made one to give to my friend for her birthday! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us!

5. I tried to make the maple brown sugar scrub and it came out lumpy and very oily. I followed the recipe correctly but it looks nothing like yours. Why?

• Sorry that happened and I’m not sure why. Was your brown sugar lumpy to begin with? It needs to be loose sugar. I would suggest adding more brown sugar, a little at a time, until it is the consistency that you prefer. Best of luck!

6. I absolutely love this idea! I’m the director of a pageant, and I’d like to make these for all my contestants, and give them out at dress rehearsal. Where did you find the tubes for the bath salts? Thanks soooo much for this fabulous idea!

• Hi Lori,
      I found the test tubes at Michaels on clearance for 38 cents each. They had Halloween candy in them and they only had these 6 left. I threw away the candy, washed the test tubes and spray painted the lids silver. I would suggest looking on Amazon for plastic test tubes. Best of luck!
      ~Tonia

7. Gina Godinho says:

Hey I was wondering if you make the spa in a jar for favors for a bridal shower. I would need like 50 of them.

8. This is so fun, what a great gift idea! I recently shared this on my Facebook page and it was a big hit :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153743694675217&set=a.353593675216.349539.323548680216&type=1&stream_ref=10

9. I love your website, it’s so cool! my question is, how long will the scrubs, bath salts last for in the jars? how long before Christmas would you make up your batches?

many thanks,
    A huge fan!
    Nichola :)

• Thanks Nichola! Unfortunately, I am not really sure. I’ve always given away most of what I make. I keep 1-2 jars for myself and we use it pretty quickly. I made the scrub, body butter and foot soak for my peppermint pampering jars 6 weeks in advance and they seemed fine to me, but of course I didn’t test them for bacteria or anything. From what I’ve read online, the scrubs have a short shelf life, especially one you start using it and introduce bacteria to the jar. That being said, the blue scrub in this post was made with Dial Antibacterial Soap and the scrub in my peppermint pampering jars was made with coconut oil which is said to be antibacterial and antifungal. Sorry for the long answer! I think it really depends on the products you use to make the items and how the products are being used once they are opened. Best of luck, Tonia

• Hi and thanks Tonia, you answered my question perfectly. I am so excited for Christmas 2014 to make these as part of my gifts. I will be making 17 in total. Thank you so much and I look forward to following your website for new (and looking back at your old) fab ideas.
        Your webpage has reached me here in New Zealand and I am telling everyone about it

Kindest,
        Nichola

10. Hello Tonia! I’ve been reading through the comments people have and most of my questions were answered in those posts, but I just wanted to know approximately how much you paid for for everything in this GREAT gift package idea. I can tell you have a very supportive audience that will be here every step of the way! I know I’m one of those people lol. But seriously, Tonia, keep up the good work! (:

• I really don’t know how much it all costs and don’t even know how to calculate it. I already had most of the items in the jar. The pebble candles were sent to me ($0), the hair mud mask was a free sample from Ulta ($0), the mason jar I had on hand, 2 chocolate truffles (60 cents), lip balm ($2.50), razor I had on hand (78 cents new), homemade spa products leftover from spa party, travel size lotion was a free sample as was the face wash but they would range from $1-$2 at Walmart, nail clippers ($2). You can make the jars as expensive or as inexpensive as you want! Hope that helps!

11. great ideas! i have some large mason jars and now i have some great uses for them. thanks a bunch!!!!
    india

12. Dear Tonia,

thank you very much for sharing this wonderful ideas! I’m gonna try them as Christmas gifts this year! ;)
    I only have one question: in most of the recipes you use epsom salt, could it be subsistute with usual sea salt?

Thank you very much in andavance! :)
    ambra

• Hi Ambra,
      I think the only recipe that uses salt is the foot soak, right? From what I read online, you can use sea salt instead of Epsom salt but sea salt is typically used for cooking. Sea salt can help relieve stress and achy joints and muscles. Epsom salts have soothing effects on the muscles and nervous system of the body and helps to detoxify the body. Hope that helps!
      Merry Christmas,
      ~Tonia

13. Tonia
    I have been doing crafts since I was young and this is one of best in a long time gifts in a jar. I am making them for Christmas gifts and I know they will go over big in my family. You have a awesome website and real easy to follow. Thank You

14. Hi Tonia! I love your site and am so excited to make your gifts in a jar:) do you have a label for Foot Scrub? I want to add the peppermint scrub to the Spa in a Jar but I can’t find a label for it. Thanks and have a great holiday!

15. This is such an awesome idea! I’m making 6 for the girls in my family and packaging them with a robe, slippers, a wine glass, and some extra larger spa goodies for a pink spa themed Christmas gift! I can wait to share this with all my friends on Facebook but it’ll have to to wait because I’d hate to give away the surprise for the girls until after they unwrap them. :) Thanks so much for sharing this idea!

16. What a great idea! I need to find my old giant mason jars now… Thanks for your post.

17. Hi! I LOVE this idea! One question: how did you attach the labels to the containers? Glue? How about to the ribbon on the glass jar? just curious! Thanks!

18. I didn’t realize til I had gone to the store 3 times, that the jars are WIDE MOUTH QUART sized. Not Reg mouth. JUST if anyone else had issues. Walmart has them online for order. Or at their store!!

• Yikes! Sorry for all of the extra trips to the store! I will add that to the post. Thanks Renee!

• Hey Tonia,
        No worries. I think this is an amazing gift idea and you have have inspired me to make them and your other amazing crafts!! Sorry if my post seemed a bit rude, I didn’t mean that. Just that I was going around like a madman looking for the wide mouth. :) of course I’m the silly goose trying to shove things in yhe smaller mouth jars. Thanks for the inspiration Tonia!!!! Happy Holidays!!!! Renee

19. Thank you so much for the great ideas!!! I recently got laid off and since the holidays are coming I am on a super strict budget. Thank you for giving me fun, inexpensive and personalized ideas for the holidays!!!!

20. Have you made a gentleman friendly version of this yet? Or have any ideas about male friendly scents to incorporate into it? My boyfriend loves pampering himself but hate most of the “girly” smells they have.

21. I am in love with this idea! I can think of so many people in my life who would benefit from this gift. Thanks for sharing!
    Carrie

22. This is so much fun! I would love to get a gift like this. What a way to find an excuse to pamper yourself. I featured this on my Handmade Gift Ideas! http://www.throughtheeyesofthemrs.com/2013/11/30-handmade-gift-ideas.html

23. If you use essential oils for your scrubs it can melt plastic. I would put the scrubs in small baby food jars. I love this spa in a jar idea ! :-)

24. adorable. I’m making it for x-mas presents this year. where can you buy the packaging

25. Hi, I love this gift idea! where did you get the tiny candle from?

26. I just found your website from Pinterest, and am now a follower. I love this idea! For Christmas we do guy and girl gifts for everyone in the family, and I think this would be awesome to give the ladies. Thank you!

27. Ok. I think I thought of any way to package that. Question on the containers, did you say Family Dollar? I checked two of them and they don’t carry; but I was thinking it just may be here in Dallas area that doesn’t.

28. Unless I missed it, where did you purchase the container for the bath salt?

• Hi Yolanda,
      I had a hard time finding test tubes. There are many places where they are available online but the shipping would’ve been expensive in order to get them in time. I found the test tubes at Michaels on clearance for 38 cents each. They had Halloween candy in them and they only had these 6 left. I threw away the candy, washed the test tubes and spray painted the lids silver.
      ~Tonia

29. This may be a dumb question, but where can you buy the mason jars?

• Hi Brenda,
      You can find mason jars at Walmart, Target, Michaels and I’ve even bought them at my small local grocery store. I’ve also seen them at thrift stores. Best of luck!
      ~Tonia

30. I LOVE this idea!! I am needing 20 hostess gifts for my upcoming baby showers and I think this is the way I want to go! I love the baby blue and black, I just hope I can find what I need in my small town! I also love your everything jars! I am a teacher and think this would be an adorable gift to give my fellow teachers! Fingers crossed!

31. Angela Gouger says:

Where did you get the containers from….finding it hard to find small ones that would fit in a mason jar????

• Hi Angela,
      The foot soak containers are bead organization jars from Joann’s. The hand scrub containers are from the dollar store. I just spray painted the lids silver. Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Tonia

32. Celeste Hattingh says:

This is an awesome idea. I made one for my friend for her birthday. Its a thoughtful and cost effective gift. Thank you so much for the idea!

33. Stephanie says:

I’m a runner, so the foot soak caught my eye. I made a version of these for my running girlfriends as a “post-race” recovery kit (foot soak, hand scrub, body scrub, lip balm, chocolate). Thanks so much for sharing the recipes!

34. Jessica says:

hello, I love this !! what size mason jar did you use ? for the scrubs etc are these glass mason jars to ( size?)

thanks !

• Hi Jessica! I used a large, quart size mason jar to hold everything. The small containers holding the scrub and hand scrub are from the dollar store. About 2 tablespoons fits into them. The foot soak plastic containers are actually for beads so the volume size isn’t written on the package. They are 1 7/8″ tall and 1 1/2″ in diameter. Each jar held 2 tablespoons which is enough for 1 foot soak. Here is a link to what the package looks like: http://www.joann.com/bead-organizer-6-3-x4-8-/zprd_09035874a/

35. You are so creative Tonia! What a truly fantastic idea! Love your blog and seeing all your crafts!

36. I would love to know where you got the smaller, clear jars that you put your scrubs into?

• Hi Emilie, I can’t reply via email because that option isn’t enabled in your profile so I hope you see my reply here! :) I got the small, clear jars from the Family Dollar. I think they were only $1.00 for a six pack. The lids were bright colors and I spray painted them silver!

37. I discovered you via Tidy Mom. This is brilliant and beautiful. I’d like to make one for my mom with all homemade concoctions.

The best Valentine I ever received? My boyfriend, who I think became my boyfriend that day, came over to my house on Valentine’s Day and cooked an elaborate dinner for me because I was sick. It was so sweet!

38. How cute! I would love to get something like this! You have inspired me to make some of these for some of my friends!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

39. This would be a perfect teacher gift!! Love it! :)

40. This is such a lovely idea! I have pinned it and love it! Thanks

41. Great idea for many different occasions – mom’s birthday!
    ~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

42. What a neat idea! I bet my 11 year old would love this as well as she has just gotten into giving herself manicures and such.
    Thanks for the idea.
    KC

43. Tonia, I think this is a brillant idea. I always look for unique ideas for my three daughters two adult and one teen that don’t include candy. Things they aren’t expecting. I have to do this for them this year. I must check out your other Jar Gifts. I am always looking for unique gifts for birthdays, etc. Great idea!

44. You are like the Queen of Jar Gifts!! I could totally use this spa in a jar right now. Very cute.

45. Your mason jar gift continue to amaze!! I made 15 of your everything jars for Christmas and love this one as well. Where did you get the mini pebble candles–how cute!!

• Thanks so very much Dori! I love hearing that people actually make the things I post about! I will add a link to the post for where I got the mini pebble candles.

46. Whoops. Idea great for any occasion!! Love it!!

47. This comment has been removed by the author.

48. spa in a jar? Yes please! The other day I got a new razor and I swear it totally made my day :)

49. What a great idea. Thank you. Might have to make a knitters love in a jar project for my blog.

50. This is a really cute idea. Did you make the scrubs or just repackage them? Either way…