This crave-worthy Bacon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe makes the best toasted pumpkin seeds EVER! Everyone will love this easy snack or appetizer with bacon!
Although my kids enjoy carving pumpkins, the real reason they want to do it is to get the pumpkin seeds. We save the seeds from the pumpkins and roast them. Some of our favorite roasted pumpkin seeds include Cajun seasoned, ranch, garlic salt and of course, just plain salt. This year I decided to take it to a whole new level by adding another favorite: BACON. These bacon roasted pumpkin seeds were fantastic.
Cut the bottom or the top off of a pumpkin. I recently read that it is easier to cut the bottom of a pumpkin so I gave it a try. Scrape out the inside and the seeds. This year I discovered a new way to clean out a pumpkin. When I looked in my kitchen drawer for our pumpkin carving tools, I couldn’t find any of them. Through my search of the drawer, I noticed my plastic ice cream scoops and wondered if they would work for cleaning out the pumpkin. So I gave them a try and they worked really, really well! The edges of the plastic scoop help scrape the insides to remove the membranes, and the dip in the scoop allows you to lift out the flesh, pulp and seeds.
Rinse and drain the pumpkin seeds. To get the best results, either soak the pumpkin seeds in salt water overnight or boil them in salt water for 10 minutes.
Drain the seeds and spread them on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle them with kosher salt. Cut four slices of bacon into small pieces and place them in the pan with the bacon.
Bake the pumpkin seeds for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees, stirring and turning the seeds every 5 minutes, until golden and crunchy.
Crumble the cooked bacon and mix it with the pumpkin seeds.
These Bacon Toasted Pumpkin Seeds disappeared in the blink-of-an-eye! I had to set some aside for Brian because I wanted him to be able to try them too. The kids kept trying to eat them and I kept chasing them away. Brian was glad that I saved some for him and after his first couple of seeds told me that they were really good. So, from now until pumpkin season is over, we will be making multiple batches of Bacon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds!
Updated from original post on October 2015
- 1 large pumpkin (about 1 cup of seeds)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin.
- Rinse the pumpkin seeds, removing the pulp.
- Pour the seeds into a large pot, add water and one tablespoon of salt.
- Bring water to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain and spread the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the four slices of bacon into small pieces and place them in the pan with the bacon.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake the pumpkin seeds for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees, stirring and turning the seeds every 5 minutes, until golden and crunchy.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and mix it with the pumpkin seeds.
Before you go, be sure to check out these BACON RECIPES: