We made Easy Pepperoni Calzones for dinner using frozen bread dough. This kid friendly meal is sure to please your entire family!
When I don’t know what to make for dinner, I turn to my kids for ideas. They each suggest a couple of meals they would like me to make and I add the ingredients to the shopping list. Last week, Zack suggested that we try to make calzones. He has eaten them at restaurants and although we’ve made pizza balls, grilled pizza, pizza sticks and even stromboli, we’ve never made calzones. We were very happy with how our Easy Pepperoni Calzones turned out and I can’t wait to try making them on the grill this summer!
I used Rhodes frozen bread dough to make things easier. Let the dough thaw and rise during the day so that they are ready to use at dinner time. It takes 4-7 hours at room temp or 2-4 hours if you put the bread in an oven that was heated and then turned off. Just follow the directions on the package. I started with 2 loaves of dough, but ended up using the extra loaf for soft pretzels.
Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Flatten each piece into a small circle and spread pizza sauce over half of the circle, leaving the edges free of sauce.
Layer the pepperoni slices on top of the sauce.
Top with a couple tablespoons of shredded cheese and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
Fold the empty half of the dough up over the toppings. Pinch, tuck and press the edges to seal in the toppings.
Brush with a beaten egg.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot with pizza sauce for dipping.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough (I used Rhodes)
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 36 pepperoni slices
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used colby-jack)
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Allow the dough to thaw and rise, following the instructions on the package.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces.
- Flatten each piece into a small circle on a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet.
- Spread a little pizza sauce over half of the circle, leaving the edges free of sauce.
- Layer 6 pepperoni slices on top of the sauce.
- Top with a two tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Fold the empty half of the dough up over the toppings. Pinch, tuck and press the edges to seal in the toppings.
- Brush with a beaten egg.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve hot with pizza sauce for dipping.
Here are a couple more pizza recipes to try: