This Easy Queso Blanco Recipe is a quick way to make white cheese dip using Velveeta and peppers. Serve with chips as a side dish or an appetizer!
Our favorite place to vacation is Wilmington, North Carolina. Over the years it’s become our home-away-from-home. We love visiting our friends who live in the area and, of course, we love spending time on Wrightsville Beach.
One of our favorite local restaurants is called Islands Fresh Mex Grill. Everything we’ve tried at the restaurant is delicious but we all agree that our favorite item on the menu is the chips and queso!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links.
Not long after returning from one of our vacations, I tried making queso blanco dip and it turned out great! Then, I tried to make it again, when a bunch of friends were at our house and it didn’t work as well. I realized that the biggest difference in the queso recipe was the cheese I used. The first time I made it, I used Velveeta Queso Blanco and the second time I used white cheddar cheese. While it tastes great with the white cheddar cheese, it was way too thick. As my friends filled their plates, they let me know that the dip was too thick and wondered what how I could thin it out. Finally, I added a bunch of salsa to the dip and that thinned it. So, I wanted to go back to the first time I made the white cheese dip using Velveeta to see if it would turn out smooth again… and sure enough, it did!
To make the queso blanco recipe, cut a two-pound block of Velveeta queso blanco cheese into cubes. Puree one 4-ounce can of diced green chilies with two tablespoons of canned, diced jalapenos (add more or less depending on how hot you want the dip). Put the cheese cubes, pureed peppers, milk, butter, cumin, and pepper into a saucepan. Over medium heat, melt everything together, stirring often until smooth. Add additional milk if needed. If you don’t eat it all right away, you can store it in the fridge and reheat the queso blanco in the microwave.
↑ See the recipe in action in my video above ↑
- Cut a two-pound block of Velveeta queso blanco cheese into cubes.
- Puree one 4-ounce can of diced green chilies with two tablespoons of canned, diced jalapenos (add more or less depending on how hot you want the dip).
- Put the cheese cubes, pureed peppers, milk, butter, cumin, and pepper into a saucepan.
- Melt over medium heat stirring often. Add additional milk to thin the cheese sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- If serving at a party, keep warm in a slow cooker set on the lowest setting, stir occasionally.
- Store leftovers in the fridge. Reheat in microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in-between.
Updated from original recipe shared October 2014