Disclosure: I am sharing this Harvest Ooey Gooey Bars recipe as part of my paid partnership with The J.M. Smucker Company.
During the holidays, it’s always fun to have a few kid-friendly desserts around for the kids that don’t like things like pumpkin pie or pecan pie. Today I’m sharing Thanksgiving recipe for Harvest Ooey Gooey Bars. Although these bars are geared more toward the kids, you will find that the adults love them too. They start with a soft Pillsbury cake mix cookie crust on the bottom, crispy chocolate treats on the top and ooey gooey marshmallow cream in the middle.
I received this awesome Pillsbury Celebration Starters kit full of fall favorites like Pillsbury Apple Cinnamon Muffin mix, Pillsbury Pumpkin Bread mix and Funfetti Orange All Star cake mix. Plus, a Pillsbury Traditional Yellow cake mix, Pillsbury Sugar Cookie mix and four flavors of Pillsbury Frosting: caramel, vanilla marshmallow, milk chocolate, and cream cheese. I am so excited to try the new Pillsbury Fluffy Frost Vanilla Marshmallow frosting! Doesn’t it sound delicious? The cream cheese frosting is going to go on the pumpkin bread and the caramel frosting on the apple cinnamon muffins.
Did you know that 2015 is a big year for the Pillsbury Doughboy? It’s his 50th birthday this month! Talk about a celebration. Happy Birthday, Doughboy! Here’s wishing you a year full of Funfetti sprinkles and lots of giggles.
Start by making the cake mix cookie crust in a 9-inch springform pan using a Pillsbury Funfetti Orange All Star cake mix. If you are wondering where to find this cake mix, use this handy product locator.
I made these bars in a 9-inch springform pan so that they can be cut into triangles giving them a candy corn look. If you don’t have a springform pan, they can be made in a 9-inch square pan instead.
After baking, remove the crust from the oven and top with one container of marshmallow cream. The hot cake mix crust will warm the marshmallow cream and it will start to spread out on its own. You can use a greased spatula to help it spread, if necessary.
Top with a layer of crispy chocolate treats and sprinkles. Place in the fridge to cool and set. Remove the sides from the springform pan before cutting into slices.
As these bars start to warm to room temperature, the marshmallow cream will soften and start to get all ooey gooey and the kids love it but if you want them to be a little less messy, kept the bars refrigerated until right before serving. This Thanksgiving, kids of all ages will love these Harvest Ooey Gooey bars with fun colors, yummy flavors and lots of oozing, creamy goodness.
- 8.25 oz package Funfetti Orange All Star cake mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oil
- 7 oz container marshmallow cream
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 cups chocolate crispy rice cereal
- Mix together the cake mix, egg and oil.
- Press into a greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes.
- Remove cake mix cookie layer from the oven and immediately top with the marshmallow cream.
- As the marshmallow cream warms, it will start to spread on its own.
- Use a greased spatula to carefully spread it out over the cake mix crust, if it doesn't spread out enough on its own.
- In a large bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Add mini marshmallows and stir to coat. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir until smooth. (If the marshmallows aren’t completely melted, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.)
- Mix in chocolate crispy rice cereal and gently stir until well coated.
- Drop by large spoonfuls over the marshmallow cream layer and carefully spread out evenly. (I put my hand in plastic baggie with a little butter on it and gently spread it out.)
- Firmly press the top layer down into the marshmallow cream to really hold things together.
- Cover the bars and cool completely in the fridge.