These peanut butter and jelly bars are made with a peanut butter cake mix cookie crust. They are the perfect dessert to make for National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!
Ahhh…what a classic…peanut butter and jelly! Many of us could never count the number of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in their childhood. National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day celebrates this lunchbox staple. I decided to try making a dessert that included one of my favorites…cake mix…of course! These bars are soft, chewy, crunch and gooey. The crunchy part comes from the crunchy peanut butter which is my husband’s favorite. It’s funny how when you are married to someone for 18 years (okay not quite but our anniversary is next week so close enough) you start to become more like the other person. Prior to Brian, I had never eaten crunchy peanut butter and now I grab the crunchy more often than the creamy. But don’t tell him because he is still trying to figure out why the crunchy peanut butter disappears so quickly!
The top includes peanut butter chips and small crumbles of the cookie crust. The gooey part of the bar is the grape jelly that is in them. Grape jelly is another thing that Brian brought to our life although I have not converted on this one…yet. I still love strawberry and raspberry jellies the most. But my kids, on the other hand, they aren’t quite sure what to do with a PBJ that includes a jelly besides grape!
Happy Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter (or creamy)
- ½ cup grape jelly (or other flavor)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together cake mix, eggs, oil and peanut butter.
- Set aside ½ cup of the mixture.
- Press remaining mixture into a parchment lined, greased 8x8" square pan.
- Spread jelly over the crust in pan.
- Mix the ½ cup of cookie mixture with the peanut butter chips until large crumbles appear.
- Sprinkle the crumbles evenly over the crust in the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
Love peanut butter? Check out these recipes: