Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings are an easy dinner recipe for a busy weekday. Put the chicken in the crockpot in the morning and add the dumplings before serving.
I’ve been making slow cooker chicken and dumplings for several years now. It was one of the first recipes I shared back in May of 2011: Chicken and Dumplings. After making that recipe countless times, I decided it was time for a kicked up version. These Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings are very similar to the original version but they include a couple of my family’s favorite things…garlic and cheese.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you, but I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you for your support!
(photo from original post in 2014 hence the red crockpot vs the blue one in the other photos)
I like to start by lining my 6-quart slow cooker with a slow cooker liner. It really helps with clean up! Then, put two cans of cream of chicken soup in the Crock Pot. Fill both cans with very hot water and dump them in the crockpot. Add minced garlic and ground pepper and whisk until combined. Next, add two pounds of garlic and herb frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cook this on high for 5-6 hours (8-9 on low).
About 1 1/2 hours before serving, cut or tear the chicken breast into bite size pieces and return to the slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix together one cup of grated parmesan cheese and a half tablespoon garlic pepper. Open a tube of refrigerated biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces and roll it in the parmesan mixture before placing on the liquid in the Crock Pot. Put the lid back on and continue cooking on high for another hour or until the center of the biscuits are cooked (the bottoms of the biscuits will remain moist, as they normally do with dumplings).
- I used the Market Pantry brand Garlic Herb Chicken Breasts from Target. If you can’t find garlic herb chicken breasts, just add some extra garlic and some Italian seasoning to the slow cooker when you add the frozen chicken.
- In the original recipe, I used two of the narrow tubes of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits, cutting each biscuit into 4 pieces, but they’ve quit selling them (at least in my area they have). So in this updated version, I used one tube of Pillsbury Grands Original and cut them into 6 pieces.
- Regarding using frozen meat in the Crockpot…this is directly from the manual: “When cooking frozen meats, at least 1 cup of warm liquid must first be added. The liquid will act as a “cushion” to prevent sudden temperature changes. An additional 4 hours on LOW or 2 hours on HIGH is typically required.”
- The bottoms of the biscuits will be very moist/wet. If you prefer biscuits that are fully cooked all the way through, bake the biscuits in the oven and then spoon the chicken and gravy from the crockpot over the biscuits when serving.
- If your biscuits aren’t cooking on the tops in the way to want them to, you can move the crockpot crockery insert (without the lid) to the oven to finish cooking.
After 1 1/2 hours have passed and the biscuits are cooked (use a fork to peel back the top of one of the biscuit pieces), sprinkle the top with 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Replace the lid and allow the cheese to melt for 6-9 minutes.
Scoop into bowls and enjoy! We loved this kicked up version of slow cooker chicken and dumplings. The garlic and pepper really added to the flavor and it is going to become a part of our regular menu!
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans very hot water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs garlic herb frozen, boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tube Pillsbury Refrigerated Grands Biscuits
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ tablespoon garlic pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Line slow cooker with a slow cooker liner for easy cleanup.
- Put 2 cans of cream of chicken soup in a slow cooker.
- Fill both cans with very hot water and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add garlic and ground pepper and whisk until combined.
- Next, add the garlic and herb frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours (8-9 on low) or until chicken is fully cooked.
- About 1½ hours before serving, cut or tear the chicken breast into bite size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together grated parmesan cheese and garlic pepper.
- Open 2 tubes of Pillsbury Refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces and roll it in the parmesan mixture and then place them on the liquid in the crockpot.
- Put the lid back on and continue cooking on high for another 1 to 1½ hours or until the center of the biscuits are cooked. Use a fork to peel back the top of a biscuit piece to check if it is cooked inside.
- Sprinkle the biscuits with finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Replace the lid and allow the cheese to melt for 6-9 minutes.
*Recipe updated from original shared January 2014
Here’s the main photo from when I first shared this recipe.
Here are a few more Crock Pot Recipes to try.