Wondering how to air fry chicken wings? This crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe is a crowd favorite! So easy to make and full of flavor.
Air fryer chicken wings can be served as a party appetizer, on game day, or as the main dish alongside rice or a salad. You can coat the wings with a variety of sauces so everyone can choose their favorite.
What You’ll Find In This Post
- Chicken Wings: We used a one-pound package that contained six wings which we cut into pieces and ended up with twelve wings. All twelve fit in the basket at once. But if you want to make more than twelve wings, you can cook them in batches.
- Breading: The wings are coated with all-purpose flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, and garlic salt. You can use other seasonings to make different flavors.
- Olive Oil: We used an olive oil spray to make things easy, but you can also brush the basket and wings with olive oil if you don’t have any spray available.
Additional Seasonings To Try
We went with an all-purpose, lightly seasoned coating for these air fryer chicken wings, but this is where you can let your creativity run wild! You can use any combination of spices you desire. Here are a few suggestions:
How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
The two most important things about making crispy air fryer chicken wings are patting them dry and allowing them to rest in the refrigerator with the coating. These two steps will give you crispy chicken wings without having to deep-fry them!
Cut the chicken wings in thirds and discard the tips.
Pat the wings dry on both sides with paper towels and place them in a bowl.
Mix together flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, and garlic salt in a small bowl. Coat the chicken wings with the seasoned coating mixture.
Place the coated chicken wings in a pan, cover the pan, and place it in the fridge for 60 minutes.
Spray the wings with olive oil and bake them in a preheated air fryer at 380˚F for 15 minutes.
Turn the chicken wings over and spray again with olive oil spray. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Make Ahead and Storage
Make Ahead: Follow the recipe to prepare the chicken wings but place them in the freezer instead of the refrigerator. After about 30 minutes, transfer the wings to an airtight freezer bag for storage. Preheat the air fryer and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F.
Storage: Allow the leftovers to cool and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Sauces
We chose a store-bought buffalo sauce and a homemade garlic parmesan wing sauce to coat our chicken wings. Here are some additional sauces to try.
- ranch dressing
- blue cheese sauce
- lemon pepper
- spicy honey mustard
- teriyaki sauce
- barbecue sauce
- cheese sauce
- chipotle sauce
- garlic butter sauce
Arrange the coated wings on small trays for serving along with celery and a dipping sauce such as blue cheese dressing or ranch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Air fryer chicken wings cook time is 25-30 minutes at 380˚F in a preheated air fryer.
Yes, you can cook frozen chicken wings in the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer and bake at 380˚F for 30-35 minutes, flipping them halfway through baking or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F.
Yes, you can use this recipe to make oven-baked chicken wings! Coat the wings as directed in the recipe, place them on a wire rack on a baking sheet, and refrigerate. Spray the wings with olive oil and bake at 400˚F for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway through or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F.
More Appetizer Recipes To Make
- These Air Fryer Cream Cheese Wontons have a garlic cream cheese filling.
- Fried Pickles are always a popular choice at restaurants!
- Spicy Jalapenos Poppers are filled with melted cheese and bacon bits!
- Loaded Nachos are perfect for parties or make for dinner.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Cut wings into thirds and discard the tips.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel and place them in a bowl.
- Mix the flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, and garlic salt.
- Coat the wings with the flour mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380˚F. Spray the air fryer with olive oil. Add the wings and spray them with olive oil. Bake at 380˚F for 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken wings over and spray again with olive oil. Bake for 10-15 additional minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- Coat with your favorite sauce.