This Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash recipe is low carb comfort food that is easy to make. Your family won’t even miss the pasta!
Some days, I’m too busy or too lazy to make lunch for myself and I end up eating a protein bar. Other days, lunch is my favorite meal because I am at home alone and I can cook whatever I want!
This recipe is a combination of two of my favorites: spaghetti squash and fettuccine alfredo. The recipe below is for an easy, quick alfredo sauce made in a skillet and then the cooked spaghetti squash and chicken are added before serving.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Start by cooking your spaghetti squash.
You can find my recipe here: How To Cook Spaghetti Squash In The Microwave
You can find my Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash recipe here.
How To Make Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash:
Once your spaghetti squash is ready to go, it’s time to make the alfredo sauce.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sage and cook for about one minute.
Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Whisk in the chicken broth and then the cream.
Stir in the cream cheese and Parmesan cheese until smooth.
Add the cooked spaghetti squash and the cooked, shredded chicken. (I used part of a rotisserie chicken.)
Taste the chicken alfredo spaghetti squash. Then, season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
I love making this recipe for lunch and I save the leftovers for the next day. If I don’t have any chicken on hand, I make it without and it is still so delicious!
Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Recipe Tips:
1. Want to go meatless or save time? Skip the chicken and just use the alfredo sauce.
2. How can I lower the fat and calories in this recipe? Try making this with fat-free half-n-half, low-fat cream cheese BUT keep in mind that any substitutions may change the flavor and texture of the chicken alfredo spaghetti squash.
4. How much spaghetti squash do you get from one cooked spaghetti squash? It depends on the size of the spaghetti squash. I’ve found that I typically get about 2 1/2 cups from the ones I buy.
5. We don’t like spaghetti squash. What can we use instead? Use cooked angel hair pasta instead.
6. How can I make this recipe to feed more than 4 people? You can stretch this meal by adding steamed broccoli or cooked mushrooms. This also adds more nutrition which is a bonus.
7. What should I do with the leftovers? Divide the chicken alfredo spaghetti squash into servings, put them in small individual containers, and place in the freezer for a quick meal for one.
Looking For More Spaghetti Squash Recipes?
Don’t worry! We’ve got you covered. Try one of the following recipes next.
Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash from The Gunny Sack: This Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash is a low carb recipe the whole family will love! This baked spaghetti squash casserole is pure comfort food full of flavor and cheesy goodness.
Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash from The Gunny Sack: Easy Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash with Chicken recipe is a delicious low carb comfort food full of veggies! Your family won’t even miss the pasta!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash from The Gunny Sack: This Instant Pot Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash recipe is mainly vegetables! It’s healthy, flavorful, filling, and gluten free.
Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash from Recipe Runner: Spaghetti Squash stuffed with a creamy, cheesy, chicken and broccoli filling and topped with more melted cheese! This Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash makes a great gluten free, low carb comfort food dinner!
Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs from The Gunny Sack: Skip the carbs and try this recipe for spaghetti squash with meatballs. This healthy dinner recipe for squash boats is a great way to eat extra vegetables!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half, also known as half cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 1/2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked
- salt, pepper, and parsley, to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sage and cook for about one minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about one minute, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and then the half and half.
- Stir in the cream cheese and Parmesan cheese until smooth.
- Add the cooked spaghetti squash and the cooked, shredded chicken. Cook until heated through.
- Taste the chicken alfredo spaghetti squash. Then, season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
Reader Suggestions: Ria had success substituting fat-free half-n-half and low-fat cream cheese. Readers also suggest adding steamed broccoli and mushrooms.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 730mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Updated original recipe shared April 2015