Chevron Aqua by Riley Blake Designs
Aviary 2 Bloom in Bark by Joel Dewberry
Baby Pom Pom Ball Fringe in Aqua
1) Cut 1 rectangle of each fabric so that it measures 16 x 36 inches. Fold the rectangles in half, right sides together and sew along edge opposite the fold but leave the top and bottom open.
2) Cut out 2 ovals that measure approximately 10 1/2 x 11 1/2 inches
3) Pin the ovals to the bottom of the sewn rectangles.
5) I placed the flowered bag inside the chevron bag, right sides together.
6) I pin it in place and marked off an opening several inches wide where I did not sew. Then, I sewed the 2 bags together, around the top edge except between the 2 pins that are marking the opening.
7) I turned the bags right-side-out through the space that was left open in step 6. Then, tuck the flowered bag inside the chevron bag. I love that all of the raw edges are hidden inside the tote!
Next it was time to attach a strap. I am by no means an expert sewer but I figured out a way to attach the strap while still leaving room for the cording to fit through. I’m sure there is an easier way than the one I came up with but I haven’t a clue what it is.
9) First I turned the bag inside out, folded down a channel for the cord and put the 45 inch strap (an old belt) in place. I pinned the strap the bag but not the folded channel.
10) I unfolded the channel, turned the bag right side out and sewed the strap in place only at the bottom. The rest of the strap was loose so that I will be able to make that channel for the cord!
11) I made 2 buttons holes, again placing the below the channel fold which I have marked with 2 pins. Then, I folded down the 2 inch cord channel and sewed it in place. I top stitched around the entire top of the bag to give it a finished look.
12) I cut open the button holes and threaded the cording through the channel, inserted cord stops and tied knots in the ends.
I did not end up using the pom pom fringe for this project.
I love that the inside of the tote is a surprising contrast to the outside and is only visible when some opens up the bag to reach inside.