Last week, we had an estate/garage sale at my mom’s house. My kids really wanted to do a lemonade stand for the sale, but it was cold and windy out… not lemonade weather!! I know how much they look forward to setting up a little booth whenever we have a sale so I made them some Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars to sell.
This is the same recipe I used for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake but I doubled it (except for the amount of chocolate chips) so that it would fill a jelly roll size pan and therefore we would have more bars to sell!
Cream the shortening and sugar.
Add the eggs and vanilla.
Add the soda and water, then the dry ingredients and last the chocolate chips.
Bake until golden brown about 20-25 minutes.
Allow the bars to cool before cutting into squares.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Adapted from Nestle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 2 teaspoons baking soda with 2 teaspoons water and set aside.
- Cream together shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, eggs and baking soda/water mix.
- Gradually beat in flour and salt.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Spread out in a greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow them to cool completely before cutting into bars.