Cheesy, crispy Mozzarella Sticks are the ultimate appetizer with melted cheese coated with fried breadcrumbs dipped in marinara sauce.
If fried mozzarella sticks are on the menu at a restaurant, our family always orders them as an appetizer! Since it’s one of our favorites, we decided to make a homemade version that is just as good, or even better, than what you get at a restaurant.
Here’s Everything You Need To Make Mozzarella Sticks
Using only string cheese and a simple breading, you can make the most delicious homemade mozzarella cheese sticks! This cheese sticks recipe can be prepared ahead of time as well.
- Cheese: Mozzarella string cheese sticks are the perfect size and shape for this recipe.
- Coating: This recipe uses all-purpose flour to coat the cheese sticks. It makes a dry surface for the breading to stick to.
- Breading: The breading is a mixture of panko breadcrumbs and plain breadcrumbs for the fullest coating and best combination of texture.
- Seasoning: The breading is seasoned with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Eggs: Beaten eggs help the breading stick to the cheese sticks.
- Oil: We used peanut oil for deep frying, but vegetable oil can also be used.
We purchased a deep fryer to use when deep frying food. The one we bought holds up to 8 cups of food and up to 12 cups of oil. You can find our exact deep fryer here. Always keep in mind that you need to be very cautious when frying food. Keep the oil at a steady temperature and always stay close by. Here are some of the reasons we prefer using a deep fryer:
- Temperature: The deep fryer heats the oil and maintains the temperature. Choose the temperature you would like the oil to be and a green light comes on when it is ready.
- Thermometer: The thermometer is built into the deep fryer. There is no need for an external one but we like using an instant-read thermometer to double-check the temperature.
- Wire Basket: There is a wire frying basket for lowering and lifting food into and out of the oil.
- Cover: There is a vented, removable cover with a small viewing window.
Heavy Bottom Pot or Air Fryer
You can also deep fry them in a heavy bottom pot with a thermometer. If you choose this method, be sure to carefully monitor the temperature of the oil so that it doesn’t get too hot.
Another option is to cook them in an air fryer at 400˚F for 4-6 minutes. Spray (or brush) them with olive oil before cooking. Then, flip them over halfway through cooking and coat them with olive oil again.
How To Make Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
This mozzarella sticks recipe is really easy to make but takes a little extra time and care. You’ll need to leave enough time to freeze the coated cheese stick and take extra care when deep frying them.
- Cheese: Unwrap all of the string cheese sticks and cut them in half.
- Breading: Coat the cheese in flour and then breading using the beaten eggs to help everything stick to the cheese.
- Freeze: Once the mozzarella cheese sticks are coated, freeze them for at least two hours.
- Deep Fry: Heat the oil in a deep fryer, remove the cheese sticks from the freezer, and work in batches to deep fry them.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Yes, you can prepare mozzarella sticks ahead of time and store them in the freezer until you are ready to fry them.
Cook them in an air fryer at 400˚F for 4-6 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown.
Yes, you need to freeze the mozzarella sticks before frying so that the cheese doesn’t melt in the hot oil before the breading gets crispy.
Want more appetizer recipes? Try these next:
Jalapeno Poppers are one party appetizer that everyone loves! Who can resist creamy, melted cheese inside a spicy pepper with a crispy coating?
Veggie Pizza with a flaky crust, creamy ranch spread, and crunchy veggies is a classic party appetizer.
Bacon Wrapped Meatballs are the perfect combination of sweet and spicy! These bite-sized appetizers will disappear in a flash.
This easy Queso Blanco Recipe is made with Velveeta and peppers! Serve with chips and veggies.
- Cut the cheese sticks in half. Set aside.
- In a wide shallow bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, plain bread crumbs, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Put the flour in a second bowl and the beaten eggs in a third bowl.
- Coat the cheese sticks halves in flour, then in the beaten eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs mixture. Coat with the eggs and breadcrumbs a second time.
- Place in a parchment-lined pan and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer (or use a large pot with a thermometer) to 350˚F. Remove the cheese sticks from the freezer and deep fry them 5-6 at a time for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with marinara sauce.