This homemade Orange Julius recipe is refreshing on a hot summer day. Or make an orange whip drink as a breakfast or brunch beverage!
Cool, creamy orange whip drink is part of the Orange Julius menu. Since it only requires a few ingredients you can make it at home whenever you are craving an icy drink! My mom used to make it for us during the summer and my sister serves it at breakfast to overnight guests.
In This Post
Orange Whip Drink Ingredients
- Orange Juice Concentrate: A can of frozen orange juice concentrate is the basis for the whole drink. We chose the low pulp option but any of the varieties will work. Keep extra cans in the freezer so that you can make an orange julius with orange juice anytime you want.
- Water: The water helps to dilute the concentrated orange juice. Make sure you use cold water to keep the orange whip as chilled as possible.
- Vanilla Extract: A little vanilla extract takes this drink from good to amazing!
- Half-n-Half: The half-n-half makes the orange julius creamy. You can also make this Orange Julius recipe with milk, heavy cream, or almond milk, but it may change the consistency.
- Granulated Sugar: Adding sugar increases the sweetness and makes the beverage a treat! You can swap it out with your favorite sugar alternative if you prefer.
- Ice Cubes: This recipe calls for three cups of ice cubes so having a powerful blender is a bonus!
How To Make An Orange Julius
Put the orange juice concentrate, water, vanilla, half-n-half, granulated sugar, and ice cubes into a large 90-ounce capacity blender jar. If you have a smaller blender, make the drinks in batches.
Blend the orange whip drink until it is smooth and frothy!
More Ways To Make It
A Pineapple Julius is a whipped drink made with pineapple juice instead of orange juice!
- Use a 12-ounce container of pineapple juice concentrate or pineapple orange concentrate.
- Garnish the glasses with pineapple slices.
Orange Julius With Ice Cream
Turn this drink into a dessert by making an orange julius with ice cream!
- Use two cups of vanilla ice cream and omit the half-n-half.
- Or put a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream into each cup and pour the orange whip drink over the top like an orange float!
Orange Julius Smoothie
You can also turn this orange whip drink into a smoothie by using yogurt. You can also add fruit and protein powder to your Orange Julius smoothie!
- Use one cup of vanilla yogurt instead of the half-n-half.
- Optional: Add one sliced banana and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
Secret Tip: How To Make Orange Julius Ahead Of Time
People usually recommend serving orange julius immediately after making it but I’ve got a secret tip for a way that you can prepare it a couple of hours ahead of time! This tip comes from my memories of my mom doing this on hot summer days when I was a kid. I love this tip because it is especially helpful when making this recipe to serve for breakfast or brunch. You can make the drink first and then concentrate on the rest of the meal.
- Prepare the orange whip drink as directed in the recipe up to 2 hours ahead of time.
- Instead of pouring it into cups, place the plastic blender jar with the lid on (or pour it into a plastic pitcher with a lid) into the freezer!
- Set a timer and give the blender jar a shake every 20-30 minutes so that the juice doesn’t freeze solid.
- Remove the blender jar from the freezer and shake or stir to combine. Or return it to the blender and whip it back together for a few seconds.
- Fridge: If you have leftover orange julius you can store it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Give it a good stir before drinking it. It won’t have the same whipped texture but it will still be delicious.
- Freezer: You can pour the leftovers into an ice cream tray or popsicle mold and freeze them for later!
What Others Want To Know
Whip together orange juice concentrate, water, half-n-half, sugar, vanilla, and ice cubes in a blender.
Yes, the liquids in this beverage tend to separate with the heavier liquid on the bottom and the foam on the top. Simply give it a stir or enjoy it as is.
The orange in this drink all comes from the orange juice concentrate. You can add peeled oranges if you want but the drink will have a different texture due to the pulp.
- This Strawberry Whip tastes like strawberries and cream!
- Lemonade Whip is a frosted lemonade!
- Make Cranberry Whip during the holidays.
More Drink Recipes
- Make Sherbet Punch in strawberry, orange, lemon, and lime punch!
- This Mocha Punch is made with chocolate, coffee, and ice cream!
- Keep this homemade Lemonade in the fridge all summer long!
- You only need four ingredients to make a Mango Smoothie!
- 12 oz frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup half-n-half
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups ice cubes
- 8 orange slices optional garnish
- Put all of the ingredients in a large 90-ounce capacity blender jar. Make in batches when using a smaller blender.
- Add the cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses, garnish with orange slices, and serve immediately.