{Everything} In A Jar – Handmade Gifts

Gifts in a jar are so much fun to assemble! Gather together a bunch of small times with a similar theme and color. Put them all in a mason jar, add a free printable label and your handmade gift is ready to go!

Handmade Gifts In A Jar ~ Pampering, Refreshment and Energy
With just a little over 10 weeks until Christmas, it is already time to start thinking about gifts!  The more gifts that can be taken care of ahead of time, the easier the holiday season will be.  I came up with a really fun idea that can be customized to pretty much any person or occasion called:

{Everything} In A Jar

Today, I am going to show you the ones I made for teachers!  Teachers spend so much time at school so I tried to think of items that could be used at school.  When I picked the supplies to stuff the jars, I tried to stick with a color scheme for each jar to make it look cuter. To make the gift jars in this post, I used the large quart sized (32 oz) jars. If you have smaller items, smaller jars could be used.

{energy} in a jar

Wrinkle Release Spray
Disposable Mini Toothbrushes
Tide To Go Mini Pen
Peppermint Gum
Peppermint Altoids
Mini Brush and Mirror Combo

The first step for assembly is to stuff the goodies into the jars.  This takes some planning and coordination.  A long pencil can help with shuffling items around and getting them to fit.

I designed some labels to print off and put on the jars.  You can print these labels out, free of charge, if you would like to make your own jars.  The first one is has the wording on the ovals and the second is blank so you can add whatever you want.  I think I made the images large enough that you should just be able to print them from clicking on the image.  My printer just ran out of ink so I can’t test it but if it doesn’t work just let me know and I can add a Google Doc or email you the file.

***update December 2011***
I am amazed at all of the support that has been shown for this post! Thank you everyone!  I’ve heard from several people that they have had issues printing the labels so I am going to explain 2 ways to do it and again, if this doesn’t work for you please contact me and I will email you the file:

1)  Right click on the image above of the label you want and choose “Open Link In A New Window”.  It should open the labels in a new browser window.  From that browser window, you can right click and choose “Save Image As” to save the labels to your computer.  Then, just print them from your computer.

2) I have created a Google Doc for each of the label files so you can download and print them from there:

{Everything} In A Jar labels

{Everything} In A Jar ~ No Words Labels

Okay, second issue…some people have had questions about how to add their own wording to the blank labels.  Just download the file to your computer and then open it in a photo editing program and add the words.  PicMonkey is a great FREE online photo editing program, if you do not have one to use already.

I cut out the labels and using Elmer’s CraftBond Glue Spots #GlueNGlitter in the thin small style, I attached the long strip to the back of the jar.

Then, using more glue spots, I wrapped the strips around the jar.  The 2 ends don’t meet but that is okay because the oval will cover the opening.

Using more of the glue spots, I attached the oval label.

My kids like the {refreshment} in a jar the most and keep claiming it as the one they are going to give to their teacher!  I told them we can buy more of the same stuff and make another jar!

Here are some more fun ideas we came up with for jars:

{tide me over} in a jar
Beef Jerky, Nuts, Trail Mix, Granola Bars,Single Serving Drink Mix

{first aid} in a jar
Bandaids, Tweezers, Ibuprofen, Ointment, Gauze, Hand Sanitizer,
Non Latex Gloves, Antiseptic Wipes

{s’mores} in a jar
Marshmallows, Chocolate Bars, Graham Crackers

{relaxation} in a jar
Mini Candles, Bath Salt, Massage Oil, Eye Mask

{sewing} in a jar
Mini Scissors, Thread, Thimble, Buttons, Seam Ripper, Needles

You get the idea!  This gift can be for teens, moms, kids, friends or anyone else.  Just customized the jar to the recipients tastes!  It is fun to try to find mini items that will fit in the jars!

More free printable labels for gifts in a jars:

If you love these gifts in a jar, you might also love:
52 Things I Love About You ~ A Year In A Jar
Ice Skating Date In A Jar
Spa In A Jar

Pin It

This project has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Elmer’s #gluenglitter #collectivebias #CBias

1. nicola says

I love you site The Mason Jar ideas are totally cite practical & fun. Will be a theme for 2015 xmas gifts. What a creative person you are. As for the food nibbles definitely my next out of home plate to go :-)

Hi Carol,
      Unfortunately, I don’t remember! I made these jars in 2011 and I believe I used a scrapbooking program which I no longer can use due to computer updates. Sorry about that!

So cool! We do something similar for the expecting mothers in our group and call it a “go jar”. When it’s time to have the baby, they grab their overnight bag and their “go jar” and head to the hospital. The jar contains things like chapstick, mascara, mints and a few other things to make the experience a little more comfortable. Definitely found a few ideas in your post that we can use in the future.

3. Courtney says

I love this website I’ve saved alot of your jars and i will be making them as i think they are so adorable. Thank you.

4. Sherry says

I just discovered your website from Pinterest and I absolutely LOVE it!! I am totally obsessed!! Thank you for all of your wonderfully creative ideas! I recently lost my job, the week of Thanksgiving : ( and had no idea how I was going to do Christmas. But, now I have such great, inexpensive ideas that will be more meaningful than just buying from a store! Thank you and have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!! ~Sherry

Hi Sherry,
      Welcome here! I am so happy you found your way to my site and that I am able to help in some small way. I am so sorry about the lost job, but I hope that you can still have a wonderful holiday season!

5. Chavel B. says

Your red, blue, and yellow labels are perfect to use for my homemade sugar scrubs to be given out at a circus-themed baby shower. Can you please email the file so that I may edit them?

6. Barb says

This is EXACTLY what I have been searching for for gift ideas…for the gals at work!! I give all the kids and grandkids something extra and unexpected that is “homemade”… I may just add their gift card along inside the jar…..This is perfect…Can not wait to get started.

That is a great idea, Barb! It’s hard to find something that you can make for lots of different people without spending a fortune. Have fun making them!

7. Victoria Biafore says

These are such an amazing idea!! I’ve already started making them for Christmas this year, including it woukd some ideas of my own. I was wondering if it would be okay with you if I made these to sell? I’m trying to find ways to earn money and this is perfect. I would, of course, put a note inside notifying the buyer that I got the idea from you and this site. Would that be okay?

-Victoria, 14

Thanks for posting this! I am a pastors wife and every year I go to a pastor wives retreat this year I am taking these Jars as Door Prizes!!! So excited to start making them!!!
    Sherri Anderson

These are such wonderful gift ideas for really any occasion! I think you could do an adorable Baby Shower gift this way too! Thanks for sharing =)

I don’t sell them personally, but if I did that would depend on how much money I spent on the supplies. Best of luck!

10. Veronica says

I recently discovered The Gunny Sack, and I love your ideas and recipes! I am excited to make some of these jars for friends and family. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!

Fantastic! I am delighted that you found my site. Even though Christmas is over, there are so many upcoming holidays where you can give gifts in a jar: Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day and so on!

LOL! Thanks Samantha! Gifts in a jar are still popular. Maybe in 10 years we will back and go “What were we thinking?” but for now I am giving 15 of my Peppermint Pampering gifts in a jar this year!

Loved this! I’m giving away four this holiday season! Some other ideas for Refreshment in a jar are moisturizing chap stick, peppermint Pattys, air freshener, and facial freshener/moisturizer. Ideas for Rejuvenation in a jar are Lindor Chocolate an foot scrub. I also did Creativity in a jar (for an artist I’m friends with) and put in pencils and paint brushes, and Italy in a jar (you can do any country) and put in pasta, picture of the Italy flag, and a tomato. Thanks again!

12. Roberta says

Thank you soooooo much for the idea I plan on making 1 for my nephew for his “daddy diaper party” EMERGENCY in a jar! Ear Plugs, Pacifier, Gloves, Clothes Pin, diaper, diaper ointment, rattle, (and a few other emergency items), With a sign hanging off that says: Break in case of emergency!!!! Ohhhh I love it!!!

Hi Tonia, I just love this idea! I have always love gift baskets, giving and receiving. This is a great version of those that is small, easily wrapped and there are endless possibility! I am sharing this project idea on my blog, MishMashedMe, with full credit to you and link backs. I will have limited information so that the readers come to you for that. And, if it is okay, I would like to use one of your pictures. Thank you! ~Erika

This is such a cool idea! I don’t have a very good printer, but I sure want to try to make these! Thanks for the ideas and thanks for sharing them, the labels and instructions all for free. That is so very kind!

Teresa <

15. Vicky Bailey says

Love this idea! I grew up in a house were we used mason jars for everything from canning, to storage, to drinking glasses. I plan to use this idea this Christmas.! I like using “hammered” metal spray paint to use to paint the outside of the jar lids and ring, It gives the jar a more polished look, although I love the county look as well. Thanks for sharing.

What a cute idea! I love the concept of upcycling, I am obsessed with ensuring that I reduce my waste. What a great idea to give thoughtful gifts AND reusing something that otherwise could end up in the trash.

I love this idea. Made some for Christmas for my co-workers who thought it was the best idea. I’m planning on making a few for Valentines day, is there any way to change the label color? Thanks so much!

• says

My apologies! I didn’t realize that information wasn’t listed in the post. In order to fit the larger items you would have to use the larger jars which are the 32oz ~ quart sized jars.

Use this tutorial to make a label for a very special mason jar full of M&Ms. We had been pulling them out of a ziploc after my son used the potty, but I wanted the added incentive of SEEING them right there in the bathroom. So I used your great template to make a “potty treats” label to afix to the jar and filled it to the brim will all the M&Ms. It sits right on the bathroom counter now. Lets see if it helps!

I found your awesome blog the other day. I just happened to have jars and then I ran across a great deal on candy. So, I used your idea and your label document to come up with my own. I used label paper and it doesn’t look nearly as nice as your jars, so if I make more they will be with the sticky dots and regular paper like yours. Anyway, I hope you don’t mind that I used your picture on my blog. I gave credit to you and linked to your blog. Thank you for this idea! Here is where I posted your picture and link to your blog entry: http://www.couponbillie.com/2012/11/inexpensive-anytime-gifts-made-at-home.html?

I just today found your site from another site but I am hooked been printing all morning!
    my love of mason jars has just been stepped up a notch!

I can’t wait to go shopping for my “jar items”… I have been racking my brain on what to give as a baby shower game prize and I have finally hit the jackpot. I am tiered of winning picture frames and candles. I am going to make people want to play the silly games I picked out just so they can win my adorable jars.=)

I have made one of these today for a friends 21st birthday. I was able to fit loads in. I put a candle, face masks, eye masks, socks, nail varnish, toe dividers, chocolate and a iTunes vouchers so she can download a film. Basically everything for a night in without have to leave the house for anything. Thanks so much for the idea!! 😀

what a fantastic idea, thanks for sharing it, I will definitely be uswing your template for teachers gifts and stocking fillers, particularly like the complete colour co-ordination of each jar, inspired! Fiona

I just made “Date in a jar” for my parents’ anniversary. They are going to love it! I filled it with body oil, movie tickets, breath mints, hershey kisses, mini candles and advil. :)

I just found this on pinterest & am definitely going to pin it myself! Never too early to begin thinking of Christmas (and other) gifts! What a great idea!!

I love this idea!!! I start camp on Monday, and depending on how much I like my co-counselors I plan to give them each a little gift at the end of the summer and this would be perfect! :) Here’s to hoping I have a good summer so I can do this!

These are AWESOME ideas! Thanks so much for posting them! I have the hardest time thinking of gifts for some of my friends and family and I think these will be perfect for them :)

I am going to use this idea to send in a care package to my boyfriend in the Navy… he doesn’t have a lot of room to store “stuff” and it will be nice to send him some comfort and care from around the world. Creative packages pack extra love…

Thank you!

Thanks so much for this fantastic idea and for the label downloads. I just now found your site and pinned this on Pinterest. It’s had a lot of repins already, so I think you will have lots of new fans.

This is awesome! I see Birthday gifts, Mother’s Day gifts, Father’s Day gifts etc in my future! And yes, put this on Pinterest!
    Stopping by from SITS!

This is such a neat idea! I love jars and finding a them to put things into it is great! Hubby will love this :) I just found your site through the Dating Divas, perfect timing for Christmas gifts!

What clever ideas! As the holidays approach, I think these would make great neighbor, teacher, co-worker, etc. gifts. I’m feeling so inspired. I am planning to feature you and this project on my blog tomorrow, linking and crediting back to you. If this is a problem in any way, please let me know.

Lovely blog.

Gordon Gossip

I found a link to this post on Pinterest! This is a fantastic idea. I’m an avid canner and I love the idea of placing gifts in mason jars. I’ll definitely use this for coworkers because it would be so cute to have a jar of useful stuff in your desk at work!

such a great idea. thanks for sharing. i’ve already printed the blank one :) i did s’mores, sewing and chocolate in a jar!!!

your newest follower,

Girl you are a genius!! These are so great!! I’m pinning them and making them a feature from last week’s Show & Share! Hope you’ll grab a button!!

thanks to all the pinners out there! i, too, will be pinning this, and crossing my fingers that i’ll have time to make these this year. if not for christmas, they’d be fun for end of school year presents, too. thanks for all the creative suggestions!
    let’s see, we could also add ideas like = scrapbooking, music, make-up, games, even christmas or other holiday themes. ya got me rollin! :)

AMAZING!!! What a great idea and you make them look so adorable! Thank you for sharing your great ideas! I just joined your blog, hope you can check out my blog and join as well. Thanks again!

Warmest Regards,