I’m sharing these fabulous Easter baskets and this recipe for a M&M Ice Cream Cake, made with Target Grocery Essentials, as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars and #TargetCrowd
Can you believe that Easter is next weekend? My kids are on their spring break, the weather is warming up and we are loving every minute! I took a little time at the end of last week to put together some gorgeous Easter baskets and I made an M&M Ice Cream Cake that is perfect for Easter. I found everything I needed, for both the cake and the Easter baskets, at Target!
There were aisles of fantastic Easter candy, baskets and goodies at Target. I love shopping at Target for all of my holiday needs. I know that I am getting a great value and they have everything I want. Some of this Easter candy is sold exclusively at Target! I picked up a couple Spitz Easter bamboo baskets in my kid’s favorite shades of green and blue. Then, I found some adorable Spitz multi-print Easter eggs and I knew they would look cute in the baskets.
There are four images in the slideshow above. Click on the arrows to move to the next image.
First, I set the white chocolate M&M’s aside to use in the ice cream cake. Then, I filled the Easter eggs with the bagged candy: Starburst Sweet and Sour Jelly Beans (my cashier told me these are the best), Brach’s Fruit Crème Jelly Beans, Cadbury White Chocolate Mini Eggs and Twizzler’s Easter Grass.
The Lindt Chocolate Chicks are the star of the Easter basket because they are so cute. Since they are wrapped, I didn’t put them in plastic eggs. I added the large Lindt Milk Chocolate Chicks, as well as the Lindt Little Chocolate Chicks to the baskets. My kids are going to love the blue raspberry Gummy Bunnies and the Peeps Orange, Lemon and Lime Delight.
Christine recently moved out of state (I can’t believe she is old enough), but I wanted to give her some Easter goodies anyway. So, I assembled box of Easter treats that I can mail to her. In addition to a Godiva Dark Chocolate Bunny, I added full bags of Easter candy for her to share with her roommates. Christine has always loved glitter and I found some sparkly Easter eggs to put with the filled plastic eggs.
There are five step-by-step images in the slideshow above. Click on the arrows to move to the next image.
Once the Easter baskets were full, I stared working on the M&M Ice Cream Cake. I bought the ingredients for the cake from Target Grocery. Start by making two chocolate layer cakes. I baked the cakes in 9-inch KitchenAid springform pans and then used one of the pans to assemble the ice cream cake.
After the ice cream cake has frozen overnight, quickly frost it with pink whipped cream frosting. Then, remove most of the pink frosting from the sides. The pink frosting will fill in the cracks. Put the ice cream cake back in the freezer to harden.
Once the pink frosting is firm, fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (you can find the Wilton Cupcake Decorating Kit in the baking aisle at Target), with pink whipped cream frosting. Pipe pink swirls around the top edge of the cake and fill the center with white chocolate M&Ms.
Store the layered ice cream cake in the freezer until ready to serve. Dip a large knife in hot water, dry it off and then cut the cake, re-dipping in hot water, as needed.
This M&M Ice Cream Cake is such a fun way to celebrate the holiday. Thanks to Target, we have the ultimate Easter baskets, a delicious M&M ice cream cake and we are ready for Easter!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup hot water
- Green and aqua food coloring
- Decoration: White Chocolate M&M's
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup marshmallow cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour the pans and then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate in the microwave and stir in the sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Alternately add the hot water and flour mixture, beat until smooth.
- Divide the batter between the pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes for 30 minutes in the pan, on a wire rack.
- Remove the springform pan sides, peel off the parchment paper and allow the cakes to cool completely on the wire rack.
- Once the cakes are cool, use a large serrated knife to cut off the domes.
- Line the outside of the pan with parchment paper and place one cake in the springform pan.
- Tint 3 cups of vanilla ice cream with green food coloring. Working quickly, spread the ice cream over the cake in the pan.
- Then, the other cake layer and top it with aqua tinted ice cream.
- Put the ice cream cake in the freezer to harden overnight.
- Before removing the ice cream cake from the freezer, make the whipped cream frosting.
- In a chilled bowl, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.
- Beat the softened cream cheese, marshmallow cream, 1 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold into the whipped cream. Tint the whipped cream frosting with pink food coloring.
- The next steps need to be done as quickly as possible, because as soon as the ice cream cake comes out of the freezer, the ice cream will start melting!
- Take the ice cream cake out of the freezer, remove the springform pan ring and peel off the parchment paper.
- Quickly cover the top and sides with the whipped cream frosting. Then, use an offset spatula to remove most of the pink frosting (as well as some of the green and blue ice cream, if necessary) from the sides of the cake. You will still be able to see the pink frosting in the cracks.
- Put the cake back into the freezer for an hour or two, to harden. Store the whipped cream frosting in the fridge.
- Once the pink frosting is firm, fill a pastry bag, fitted with a large star tip, with pink whipped cream frosting. Pipe pink swirls around the top edge of the cake and fill the center with white chocolate M&Ms.
Recipe adapted from Target Recipe Collection 4-Layer Chocolate Cake