This Pumpkin Mug Cake recipe is dangerously easy to make. You are only 60 seconds away from warm, delicious cake!
I attended my first Tupperware party before I was even married. One of the women I worked with had a party and invited everyone from work. I was quite impressed with all of the products, but the thing I remember most from the party was the host telling us how we could use a soup mug to make a cupcake for one in the microwave.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
I bought one of the microwave soup mugs, but didn’t have the recipe written down (this was way back before the internet if you can imagine such a thing) and ended up using my mug for soup. About 10 years later, I was reintroduced to the idea of cake in a mug using cake mix and water. The second time around I was sure to write the recipe down.
Mug cakes have become my go-to treat when I am craving sweets and need something with my coffee in the evening. I use two tablespoons of sugar-free chocolate cake mix and one tablespoon of water.
Mix it together in a greased cup or small ramekin and microwave for one minute. Since it is autumn, I decided to try making a 60-second microwave pumpkin mug cake version with only 4 ingredients and I had to share it with you!
How To Make A Pumpkin Mug Cake
Step One: Ingredients
Step Two: Batter
Mix with a fork until mostly smooth.
Step Three: Cook
Microwave on high for 60 seconds. And viola just like that you’ve got cake and you can eat it too!
Step Four: Toppings
Top it with some whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Or top with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and toasted pecans.
The awesome thing is that it really does turn out like cake, as you can see in this picture. It isn’t some gooey version being called cake.
I store the rest of the package of cake mix in my pantry so that it is ready the next time I want cake. The pumpkin puree will be harder to store, but I am going to try to freeze some in ice cube trays. I can quickly thaw one pumpkin cube whenever I need it.
Pumpkin Mug Cake Recipe FAQs
1. Can I make this with other kinds of cake mix? Yes, try using butter pecan, carrot, spice, or even chocolate cake mix.
2. Why didn’t my pumpkin mug cake turn out like yours? Every microwave cooks so differently and the type of bowl or cup (glass/ceramic/etc) and the shape of the bowl or cup (wide mouth/tall sides/narrow/etc) will affect the outcome. I would suggest that you experiment with the recipe and cook times since you already have the box of cake mix and the can of pumpkin. Try cooking it for 15 seconds longer, check it and cook it for another 15 seconds. Try using a different bowl, mug or cup. Try using less liquid (water and/or pumpkin).
3. How can I make a mug cake in my toaster oven? Prepare it the same way you would if you were making in the microwave and then bake it at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
4. Do you have a gluten-free pumpkin mug cake recipe? To make this recipe gluten-free, use a gluten-free cake mix and follow the rest of the recipe as written.
Want More Quick Dessert Ideas? Try These Next
This 60 Second Brownie is the fastest way to get a warm, delicious brownie for dessert or an afternoon pick-me-up. It only requires a few ingredients!
Sit back and enjoy a taste of fall with this Microwave Apple Crisp for one! This easy recipe cooks in only 2 1/2 minutes.
Candy Bar Pretzel Bites are easy to make with mini candy bars sandwiched between pretzels. They’re perfect for cookie exchanges or in a mason jar as a gift!
- Put white cake mix, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and water into a small greased, microwave-safe mug or ramekin.
- Mix with a fork until mostly smooth.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds.
- Optional: Top with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.