{Auntie Anne’s Inspired} Soft Pretzel Nuggets

This copycat recipe for soft pretzels is inspired by Auntie Anne’s soft pretzel nuggets. They make a great after school snack and are a fun way to start cooking with kids.

One of our favorite things at the mall are the Auntie Anne’s soft pretzels. We’ve enjoyed many of the varieties but my kids favorite is the pretzel nuggets. I decided to try making them at home and have my kids help me. Vanessa was really excited but Zack was hesitant to do it with us but once we got going he really enjoyed it.

First, dissolve 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in 1 ½ cups warm water

Stir in 4 cups of flour. I used my Kitchen Aid and dough hook.

Knead until smooth and elastic. I let my mixer do the work but this could also be done by hand in the traditional way.

Place dough in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat.

Cover and let rise for one hour until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 425°F. Turn dough onto floured surface.

Pat down and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and cut into small sections.

Dissolve ¼ cup of baking soda in 2 cups of warm water.

Dip pretzel pieces into baking soda solution.

Place on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle pieces with kosher salt.

Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden brown.

Dip each nugget in melted butter and they are ready to eat! We tried sprinkling on additional kosher salt but it was too much. The kids also tried sprinkling on cinnamon and sugar which they thought was delicious as well!

I quickly folded a paper cup and the kids ran some pretzel nuggets over to our neighbor. Everyone thought they were delicious and my kids keep asking to make them again.

{Auntie Anne’s Inspired} Soft Pretzel Nuggets

Ingredients
  • 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1½ cups warm water
  • 4 cups flour
  • ¼ cup baking soda
  • 2 cups warm water
  • Kosher salt (for topping)
  • Melted butter
Instructions
  1. Dissolve yeast, sugar and salt in 1½ cups warm water.
  2. Stir in flour.
  3. Knead until smooth and elastic.
  4. Place dough in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat.
  5. Cover and let rise for one hour.
  6. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  7. Turn dough onto floured surface. Pat down and cut into 12 pieces.
  8. Roll each piece into a rope and cut into small sections.
  9. Dissolve baking soda in 2 cups warm water.
  10. Dip dough pieces into baking soda solution.
  11. Place pieces on a greased cookie sheet.
  12. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
  13. Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
  14. Dip each nugget in melted butter after baking.

recipe inspired by Mall Pretzels

Looking for other after school snacks?
Try making Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks or Mini Fruit Pizza

Comments

1. Sehar says

These look delicious! Can they be stored and had later? Have to try these soo….i was craving these when i got back home from the USA

2. Temperence says

We made this recipe and LOVED IT! It was so easy and delicious. They disapeared quickly. :)

I’m going to add them to my christmas giveaway treat bags this year!
    Thanks!

3. Crystal says

These are so good; we’ve made them twice this week! We brush them with olive oil instead of butter to make them vegan. Great recipe!

Thanks Crystal! I love hearing that. I am planning to make these this week because it has been too long since we’ve had them!

4. christie says

Look great. How many do they make? I would like to make for my daughters first grade snack, but it is a very large class…28 kids.
    Also have you made any good dips for them?

Hi Christie,
      I would guess that it makes about 72 nuggets. It really depends on how small you cut the pieces. As far as the dip goes, my kids prefer cheese dip with their pretzel nuggets. I would suggest buying cheese dip that is made for chips because you don’t have to try to keep it warm for her class. If you are looking for something homemade you could try making my pizza fondue or Nutella fondue: http://www.thegunnysack.com/2012/12/family-meals-pizza-fondue-nutella-fondue.html Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Tonia

5. JJP says

Just made these for an adult party and they were a huge hit!! Sent the website on to 3 different people. They were so delicious and I made a few dipping sauces to go with them. These are a total keeper! Thanks for sharing!

• admin says

I am so happy to hear that! Thanks for stopping back to let me know. My daughter made them recently for a bunch of her friends and they love them too!

I just finished making these!! I put salt on them after I dipped them in butter, not before, and I put cinnamon and sugar on some of them too!! I must say I like the salt better! I was worried because I didn’t think the dough rose enough even though I left it for 1.5 hours, but they turned out *amazing*!! Thank you so much!! They were super easy :)

holey moley made these over the weekend and they were a HUGE HUGE hit around the home and neighborhood. I highly enjoyed your step by step tutorial it helped tremendously. THANKS for a great new food in our home

These were so wonderful!!! I topped them off with 3 options for my kids (and me). 1. Salt 2. Nacho Cheese 3. Cin-Sugar. I think #3 was my favorite. Great party or movie night treat!

• says

I am so happy to hear that you made these and that they turned out! Thanks for taking the time to stop back to tell me! I am sorry but I have never tried freezing the dough or the pretzel bites…we ended up eating all of them. :)

It’s party time at Debt Free Mommy blog and you’re invited! Please join us and link up with Making Space Mondays, where we link up any post(s)about making our space better. We hope to see you there! -Tabitha

These look fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing, the step-by-step pictures are so helpful. Looks like I am making pretzels tonight… :)