This copycat recipe for soft pretzels is inspired by Auntie Anne’s soft pretzel nuggets. They make a great after school snack and are a fun way to start cooking with kids.
One of our favorite things at the mall are the Auntie Anne’s soft pretzels. We’ve enjoyed many of the varieties but my kids favorite is the pretzel nuggets. I decided to try making them at home and have my kids help me. Vanessa was really excited but Zack was hesitant to do it with us but once we got going he really enjoyed it.
First, dissolve 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in 1 ½ cups warm water
Stir in 4 cups of flour. I used my Kitchen Aid and dough hook.
Knead until smooth and elastic. I let my mixer do the work but this could also be done by hand in the traditional way.
Place dough in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat.
Cover and let rise for one hour until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Turn dough onto floured surface.
Pat down and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and cut into small sections.
Dissolve ¼ cup of baking soda in 2 cups of warm water.
Dip pretzel pieces into baking soda solution.
Place on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle pieces with kosher salt.
Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
Dip each nugget in melted butter and they are ready to eat! We tried sprinkling on additional kosher salt but it was too much. The kids also tried sprinkling on cinnamon and sugar which they thought was delicious as well!
I quickly folded a paper cup and the kids ran some pretzel nuggets over to our neighbor. Everyone thought they were delicious and my kids keep asking to make them again.
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- 4 cups flour
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 cups warm water
- Kosher salt (for topping)
- Melted butter
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and salt in 1½ cups warm water.
- Stir in flour.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Pat down and cut into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope and cut into small sections.
- Dissolve baking soda in 2 cups warm water.
- Dip dough pieces into baking soda solution.
- Place pieces on a greased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Dip each nugget in melted butter after baking.