Make homemade Texas Toast garlic bread with this easy recipe! Crispy, buttery bread is the perfect appetizer or side for pasta and pizza.
We always order an appetizer while waiting for our pizza to arrive, and Texas toast garlic bread is one of our favorites! It is easy to make at home and goes well with everything from spaghetti to pizza.
What You’ll Find In This Post
- Bread: You’ll need one loaf of soft white bread that is unsliced. This bread is found in the bakery department of the grocery store.
- Butter: We used salted butter as the main ingredient to make the garlic butter. The butter adds flavor and helps the bread turn golden brown.
- Garlic: The garlic provides the most flavor in this recipe. We used garlic powder, but you could use minced garlic if you prefer.
- Parsley: A little dried parsley adds flavor and color. You could also use Italian seasoning.
- Onion: We also added onion powder for additional flavor.
- Pepper: The coarse ground black pepper adds a hint of heat.
Texas Toast Recipe
Start by cutting the bread. Use a long serrated knife to slice the bread into slices that are about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
Texas Toast Garlic Butter
To make Texas toast garlic butter, combine softened salted butter, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder, and black pepper.
Spread the garlic butter over both sides of the bread slices. You can either butter them both before putting them on the griddle, or you can butter one side, place it on the griddle, and butter the top side while the bottom side is toasting.
Toast them over medium heat on an electric griddle for about 5 minutes, flipping them halfway through until golden brown on both sides. Or you can toast them in batches in a skillet on low heat on the stovetop.
Other Ways To Prepare
Texas Toast In Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 320˚F. Working in batches, air fry the slices of garlic bread for 6-8 minutes, flipping them over halfway through, until golden brown.
On The Grill
Grill Texas toast garlic bread over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, flipping it over every 15 seconds or so until browned.
In The Oven
Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Lay the prepared slices on a parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 425˚F for 6-9 minutes, flipping them over halfway through baking.
Ways To Use Texas Toast Garlic Bread
Top slices of Texas toast with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 425˚F for 6-9 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
To make Texas toast grilled cheese, put sliced or shredded cheese between two slices of prepared bread to make a sandwich. Slowly toast the sandwich in a skillet over low heat, flipping occasionally, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
To make a Texas toast sloppy joe, first make the sloppy joe meat and keep it warm. Then, follow this recipe to prepare the bread. Use the golden brown slices of bread to make your sloppy joe.
Leftovers and Storage
- Room temperature: Store leftovers in an airtight bag or container for 1-2 days.
- Refrigerator: Store the toasted bread in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container for 1-2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is thought to be called Texas toast because it originated in Texas. One theory is that it started at a restaurant called Pig Stand. Another is that it started with home cooks who used to cut thick slices of bread, butter them, and toast them until golden brown.
It is typically made from loaves of soft white bread that you cut into thick slices. Although presliced bread is usually too thin, you could still use it to make garlic toast.
To turn it into cheese bread, toast one side of the bread and then turn the heat to low. Add shredded cheese to the toasted side and place the buttered side down on the grilled. Slowly toast the bottom side while the cheese melts on the top.
How To Serve
- Make crock pot spaghetti and serve garlic toast as a side.
- Everyone loves Texas toast with grilled pizza.
- Serve it as an appetizer with pizza dipping sauces.
- Use it to make tasty breakfast sandwiches with bacon and scrambled eggs.
- 1 loaf soft white bread
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 dried parsley
- ½ onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Cut the bread into 3/4 to 1-inch thick slices.
- Make the garlic butter by combining the salted butter, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Spread the garlic butter over both sides of the bread slices.
- Toast them over medium heat on an electric griddle, for about 5 minutes flipping them halfway through, until golden brown on both sides. Or you can toast them in batches in a skillet on low heat. (See notes for additional methods)