Caramel Apple Mousse Cake is layers of apple cake and creamy caramel mousse. This apple dessert is perfect for fall!
Last weekend my friend and her kids came to town. She tries to come here in the fall so we can visit our favorite apple orchard called Fall Harvest. Last year the weather was cold and this year it was rainy. Luckily we found a couple hours in the afternoon, between rain showers to visit and yes we were wearing our mud boots! We got together Friday night for coffee and I brought the Caramel Apple Mousse Cake.
The cake is a spice cake with apples in it. I put it into 2 round cake pans. While they were baking, I made the caramel mousse filling and toasted the pecans. After allowing the cakes to cool, cut them in half (I actually waited until the next day). The cake is really moist and it split then I was trying to layer the cake. It doesn’t matter though because the layers are held together with the caramel mousse. Spread 1/4 of the caramel mousse on each of the 4 layers.
Spread caramel over the top layer of mousse and allow it to drip down the sides. Top the cake with toasted pecans.
Cut a big slice. The caramel mousse holds the layers together.
Enjoy the Caramel Apple Mousse Cake with a cup of coffee. There’s nothing like apple desserts in the fall!
- 1 spice cake mix
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup milk
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 16 oz whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup caramel dip or caramel ice cream topping (I used Marzetti Old Fashioned Caramel Dip)
- ½ cup caramel dip or caramel ice cream topping (I used Marzetti Old Fashioned Caramel Dip)
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- Combine cake mix, apple sauce, milk, eggs and oil.
- Stir in chopped apples.
- Divide batter between two greased, round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese.
- Add caramel dip, beat until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Allow the cakes to cool before cutting them in half.
- Spread ¼ of the caramel mousse on each of the 4 layers.
- Spread caramel dip over the top layer of mousse and allow it to drip down the sides. Melt the caramel in the microwave beforehand, if needed.
- Top the cake with toasted pecans.
Love apple desserts? Here are a few more that I’ve made this fall: