This Apple Cobbler with cake mix recipe is easy to make with only 4 ingredients: apple pie filling, cake mix, butter, and apple pie spice!
This apple cobbler from cake mix is also called apple dump cake because you dump the ingredients into a baking dish without mixing them! It can also be made in a crockpot.
Included In This Post
Behind The Recipe
This cake mix apple cobbler recipe is inspired by a recipe a friend gave me over 25 years ago called Cherry Crunch Dump Cake. The three ingredient dump cake was made with cherry pie filling, white cake mix, and butter.
I decided to make an apple version that is perfect for fall. Apple cobbler dump cake is one of those recipes where you can keep the ingredients on hand and make it on short notice when you need a quick dessert.
Cake Mix Apple Cobbler Ingredients
- Apple Pie Filling: This recipe works with canned and homemade apple pie filling.
- White Cake Mix: A cake mix contains the flour and sugar for the cobbler topping, all in one convenient package!
- Apple Pie Spice: Adds a delicious blend of fall flavors. You can also use pumpkin pie spice if you prefer.
- Butter: Adds moisture and fat and helps the cobbler topping turn golden brown.
How To Make Apple Cobbler With Cake Mix
Start by spreading the apple pie filling out in a greased 9×13 pan. Since I used homemade apple pie filling, my apple slices are small, which is how I like them. The recipe works with larger slices of apples as well.
Whisk the cake mix and apple pie spice together.
Dump the cake mix over the apple pie filling and spread it out in an even layer.
Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix in the pan. You can tilt the pan slightly so that the butter covers most of the cake mix. Then, bake it for 50-55 minutes.
Freezing and Storage
- Freezer: You can freeze apple cobbler with cake mix after baking it. Allow the cobbler to cool completely. Then, cover the pan with plastic wrap and foil. Store in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Refrigerator: Cover and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat it in the oven at 350˚F for 15 minutes.
Other Ways To Make It
3 Ingredient Apple Dump Cake
You can also turn this recipe for apple cobbler from cake mix into three ingredient apple dump cake!
- Skip the apple pie seasoning and only use a yellow or white cake mix along with the pie filling and butter.
- Or, for more flavor, use a spice cake mix, which is a cake mix with spices already mixed into it.
Bisquick Apple Cobbler
- Mix together 2 cups of Bisquick, 1 cup of granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon of apple pie spice.
- Then, follow the recipe as directed using the Bisquick mixture instead of a cake mix.
Crock Pot Apple Cobbler
Another way to prepare this fall dessert is in a slow cooker! Crock pot apple cobbler is a great way to make dessert while leaving the oven free for cooking dinner.
- Spread the apple pie filling out in the bottom of a crockpot.
- Combine the cake mix and apple pie spice before spreading it over the pie filling.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- For a crisper topping, drape paper towels over the crockpot liner and then replace the cover. The paper towels will absorb the moisture that drips from the cover.
I usually use white cake mix to make apple cobbler because that’s most often what I have on hand. To make the white cake mix taste more like fall, whisk in some pumpkin pie spice.
Or, if you prefer, you can buy a spice cake mix, which is essentially the same thing. This recipe would also work with yellow cake mix or butter pecan cake mix.
To lighten up this apple cobbler recipe, you can use a lite pie filling or a no-sugar-added pie filling instead of the regular version.
For the cake mix, try using a sugar-free cake mix, and instead of butter, use a light butter alternative.
The main difference between apple crisp and apple cobbler is the topping.
apple crisp has a crumb topping that includes oats and sometimes chopped nuts.
On the other hand, apple cobbler does not have oats or nuts. It has more of a streusel topping that is a combination of flour, sugar, and butter. In this recipe,
the flour and sugar part comes from the cake mix.
Additional Cobbler Recipes
- Top bowls of Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cobbler with whipped cream!
- Make Bisquick Peach Cobbler with fresh peaches.
- This Blueberry Cobbler is easier than pie!
More Apple Recipes
- Mini Apple Crisps have sweet, tender apples and are topped with a crumb topping.
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dessert is perfect for fall!
- Easy Caramel Apple Nachos are the most delicious fall dessert!
- Caramel Apple Mousse Cake is layers of apple cake and creamy caramel mousse.
- 42 oz canned apple pie filling (or use 4 ⅔ cups homemade apple pie filling) two 21 oz cans
- 15.25 oz white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- ¾ cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Spread that apple pie filling out in a greased 9×13-inch pan.
- Whisk together the cake mix and pumpkin pie spice. Dump over the pie filling and spread to cover it.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix. You can tilt the pan slightly so that the butter covers most of the dry cake mix.
- Bake at 350˚F for 50-55 minutes.