Monster cookie bars are so much easier to make than cookies! This monster cookie bars recipe includes oatmeal, peanut butter, M&M’s and chocolate chips.
When I get a craving for cookies, I take out the ingredients, mix up the cookie dough (usually a double batch) and start forming the cookies, one cookie sheet at a time.
But it doesn’t take long before I am sick of making cookies and ready to leave the kitchen with a couple of warm, fresh cookies and a steaming cup of coffee to enjoy while reading a magazine.
Has this ever happened to you? My solution is to make cookie bars instead. You get the delicious homemade cookies and they are done all in one pan! This past week, I switched up my usual Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars for these Monster Cookie Bars.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you, but I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links.
How To Make Monster Cookie Bars
Start by mixing together the baking soda and water in a small bowl, set aside. In a stand mixer with a large bowl (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer), cream together butter, shortening, peanut butter, and sugars.
Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mix in the baking soda/water mixture. Add flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the quick oats, mix well. Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips.
Spread the dough in a greased jelly roll pan measuring about 15×10 or half a sheet pan measuring about 16×12 (I use a Wilton cookie pan with sides.) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
Cut into bars. If you are patient, wait for them to cool first, if you love warm, gooey cookies as much as I do, cut a piece as soon as you can!
These bars are perfect for serving at a party. Watch them disappear when there is a group of hungry teenagers around! My husband brought this pan of Monster Cookie Bars to work to share with his coworkers and they loved them.
Monster Cookie Bars RecipePrint Pin Rate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by mixing together the baking soda and water in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening, peanut butter and sugars.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Mix in the baking soda/water mixture.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the quick oats, mix well.
- Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough in a greased jelly roll pan measuring about 15×10 or half a sheet pan measuring about 16×12 and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.