Here’s a Potato Salad Recipe to make on repeat! It’s the classic summer salad that everyone loves and it goes well with almost anything.
If you think about the quintessential summer picnic or backyard barbecue, it always includes a fabulous bowl of homemade potato salad! This recipe is easy to make and you can even give it your own spin.
Potato Salad Recipe Ingredients
The essential ingredients in potato salad vary from region to region and family to family. Here’s how we make potato salad but remember that you can easily add more ingredients or swap things out to make it exactly how you want it. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Potatoes: For this recipe, we use Yukon gold potatoes because they are a good all-purpose choice that is not too waxy and not too starchy. You can use other potatoes but your results will vary depending on which ones you choose.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs: You’ll need five hard-boiled eggs (find our guide for boiling eggs here) for this salad. Four of them will go in the salad and the fifth one will go on the top.
- Celery: The celery adds a bit of crunch as well as flavor.
- Pickles: We like our potato salad with dill pickles but another popular choice is sweet pickles or sweet relish. So go with what you like!
- Onions: The green onions add flavor as well as color to the salad. You can also choose to use diced red or white onions instead.
- Mayonnaise: The main ingredient in the dressing is mayonnaise. We used the original, full-fat version and it makes the salad so creamy and delicious. You can substitute light mayonnaise or salad dressing but keep in mind that substitutions will alter the way the salad turns out.
- Sour Cream: The sour cream adds a bit of tanginess and makes the dressing more creamy.
- Mustard: We used one tablespoon of prepared mustard but you can add more or less depending on your family’s preferences.
- Vinegar: The vinegar adds to the flavor and helps thin the dressing. We choose apple cider vinegar but you can use white vinegar or even dill pickle juice if you prefer.
- Sugar: We added a little bit of sugar to help cut the tartness.
- Seasonings: The only seasonings we added were salt, pepper, and paprika.
How To Make Potato Salad
Although this potato salad recipe is easy to make, it does take a bit of time since the potatoes have to be boiled and the salad needs to chill before serving. So be sure to give yourself enough time to prepare it. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Cook Potatoes: After peeling and dicing the potatoes, put them in a large pot and bring the water to a boil. Turn the water to low and simmer the potatoes until tender.
- Prepare Dressing: Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Combined Salad: Put the cooked potatoes, chopped eggs, chopped celery, sliced green onions, and diced dill pickles in a bowl. Add the dressing and stir until everything is coated. Top the salad with a sliced hard-boiled egg and sprinkle it with paprika.
Potato Salad Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
People often have strong options on how potato salad should taste. By making it yourself, you get to control the flavors. If you like it sweeter, use sweet pickle relish or add more sugar. Or if you love mustard, make it a mustard potato salad by adding more mustard. Allow the salad to chill in the fridge while the flavors come together, then taste it and add more seasonings, onions, mustard, or mayo if it needs it.
Potato salad is a combination of cooked potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, pickles, onions, and dressing. You can make it your own by adding more or less of your favorite ingredients.
You can use light mayonnaise and light sour cream or greek yogurt in the dressing. And you can use less dressing and thin the dressing with a little milk so that it goes further. Other options include adding more eggs to increase the protein and adding more veggies such as radishes or tomatoes.
Want more salad recipes? Try these next:
Cool, creamy, classic Macaroni Salad is a summer staple! Prepare it ahead of time and serve it at a picnic or backyard barbecue.
This homemade Coleslaw recipe is better than store-bought! Prepare it ahead of time to serve with chicken, burgers, or pulled pork.
A Tomato Cucumber Salad with fresh summer vegetables is always a hit at barbecues and picnics. This quick, easy side dish can be prepared ahead of time.
This yummy Broccoli Salad recipe features fresh broccoli, onions, bacon, and craisins in a creamy dressing. Everyone will beg for the recipe!