This homemade Coleslaw recipe is better than store-bought! Prepare it ahead of time to serve with chicken, burgers, or pulled pork.
Coleslaw is a classic side dish that pairs well with so many things. It is also delicious on top of pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers, and crispy chicken sandwiches!
What You’ll Find In This Post
Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
Besides the shredded cabbage, most of the ingredients needed to make this coleslaw recipe are kitchen staples. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Shredded Cabbage: We like using store-bought packages of shredded coleslaw mix because it saves so much time. You can buy cabbage and shred it yourself if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise: This recipe calls for regular, full-fat mayonnaise for the best results. You can substitute light mayo but results will vary. If you opt to use Miracle Whip, we suggest adding less granulated sugar since it is already sweetened, and keep in mind that the flavor will be different from the original recipe.
- Sour Cream: The sour cream adds to the creaminess of the dressing and gives it a little tanginess.
- Apple Cider Vinger: Adding a little apple cider vinegar helps to thin the dressing. It also adds flavor. You can also use plain white vinegar or lemon juice if you prefer.
- Granulated Sugar: The sugar adds a little sweetness to the coleslaw dressing and is the perfect complement to the other tangy ingredients.
- Seasoning: We seasoned the dressing with onion powder, celery salt, and ground mustard.
How To Make Coleslaw
This coleslaw recipe can be prepared in less than 10 minutes! Simply make the dressing and use it to coat the cabbage. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Dressing: Whisk together the dressing ingredients until combined. You can add more or less of any ingredients, but you may want to wait to taste it until after the coleslaw has chilled to see if it needs more of anything.
- Mix: Stir the dressing and shredded cabbage mix until the cabbage is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Chill: Cover the bowl and chill the coleslaw in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Coleslaw dressing is a combination of mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and seasonings.
Simply mix together the dressing ingredients, pour over shredded cabbage, and stir to coat.
Yes, coleslaw is considered a type of salad since it is a cold dish of raw vegetables with a dressing.
Want more side dish recipes? Try these next:
Cool, creamy, classic Macaroni Salad is a summer staple! Prepare it ahead of time and serve it at a picnic or backyard barbecue.
This Chipotle Chicken Salad is bursting with flavor! It’s topped with chicken, veggies, beans, corn, hot honey, and chipotle ranch dressing.
Italian Pasta Salad is an easy, flavorful side dish with veggies, pepperoni, cheese, and Italian dressing. Make for parties, potlucks, and backyard barbecues.
This Corn Salad recipe is a creamy combination of fresh sweet corn, colorful peppers, and ripe tomatoes! It can also be served as a party appetizer as a dip with chips.
- 14 oz package shredded coleslaw cabbage mix
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- Put the shredded coleslaw cabbage mix in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, onion powder, celery salt, and ground mustard.
- Pour the dressing over the shredded coleslaw cabbage mix and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply