This yummy Broccoli Salad recipe features fresh broccoli, onions, bacon, and craisins in a creamy dressing. Everyone will beg for the recipe!
A broccoli salad is a must-have dish at every occasion from a summer barbecue to a holiday dinner! It goes well with so many main dishes and there are never any leftovers.
Broccoli Salad Ingredients
Here are the basic ingredients needed to make this broccoli salad recipe. This salad is easily customizable so feel free to add or subtract ingredients as you see fit! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Broccoli: You’ll need about five cups of broccoli florets to make one batch of this broccoli salad.
- Craisins: We used dried cranberries (aka Craisins) in this salad because of the flavor and pop of color they provide. Raisins are another popular choice.
- Onion: This recipe calls for red onion but you can use any onions you want. Or if you prefer, you can substitute the chopped onion with one teaspoon of onion powder added to the dressing.
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise is the base of the dressing. We used full-fat mayo for this recipe but you can choose a light mayo or substitute part of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt, but keep in mind that any substitutions may change the flavor and texture of the dressing.
- Sugar: The granulated sugar brings a little sweetness to the salad to balance out the other flavors.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A little apple cider vinegar adds tartness to the dressing and helps thin out the mayonnaise.
- Salt/Pepper: We added salt and pepper to the dressing for extra flavor.
- Bacon: The bacon brings so much flavor to this broccoli salad! I highly recommend using bacon you’ve fried rather than store-bought bacon bits. We love cooking our baking in the oven while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Sunflower Seeds: Roasted, salted sunflower seeds add flavor and crunch to the salad. Other popular choices include toasted pecans, sliced almonds, and chopped walnuts.
How To Make Broccoli Salad
This broccoli salad is easy to make and the best part is that you can prepare it ahead of time! Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Dressing: Make the salad dressing by mixing together the mayonnaise, granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Salad: Put the broccoli, onions, and craisins in a bowl and stir in the dressing. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Serving: Remove the salad from the fridge and stir in the bacon bits and sunflower seeds before serving.
Broccoli Salad Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make the broccoli salad ahead of time. Wait to add the bacon bits and sunflower seeds until serving time so that they stay crunchy.
The dressing is the key to the best tasting broccoli salad. Allow the salad coated with the dressing to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. Another option is to briefly blanch and then immediately cool the broccoli in ice water to help reduce the bitterness.
Want more salad recipes? Try these next:
The best Cobb Salad recipe topped with chicken, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, homemade croutons, and ranch dressing!
This cool, creamy, classic Macaroni Salad recipe is a summer staple! Prepare it ahead of time and serve at a picnic or backyard barbecue.
A Tomato Cucumber Salad with fresh summer vegetables is always a hit at barbecues and picnics. This quick, easy side dish can be prepared ahead of time.
This Corn Salad recipe is a creamy combination of fresh sweet corn, colorful peppers, and ripe tomatoes!