This classic sweet potato casserole with pecans is as delicious as a dessert with a brown sugar crumb topping. A MUST MAKE for Thanksgiving!
This sweet potato casserole is so easy to put together and is sure to become a holiday tradition after just one bite.
In This Post
The first time I tried sweet potato casserole without marshmallows was when my sister-in-law made it for our Thanksgiving dinner, and I wanted to eat the whole pan! I even had more sweet potato casserole instead of pie at dessert time; that is how good it is.
How To Make Sweet Potato Casserole With
Step One: Crumb Topping
First, mix up the ingredients to make the pecan crumb topping and set it aside. This is the BEST part and it basically turns the sweet potatoes from a vegetable side dish to an irresistible dessert.
Step Two: Sweet Potato Casserole Mixture
An easy way to save time is to buy mashed or canned sweet potatoes rather than starting from scratch. For mashed sweet potatoes, I used the Simply Potatoes brand and found them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store near the other ready-made foods.
When using canned sweet potatoes, they will need to be drained before adding them. There are also instant sweet potatoes that would work in this recipe.
Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the mixture until smooth.
Step Three: Assemble
Any casserole dish will work, but using a wide, shallow dish allows the crumb topping to cover more of the sweet potatoes, and everyone gets some of that goodness in their serving.
Cover the casserole with the crumb topping and spread it out evenly.
Step Four: Bake
Bake until the crumb topping is golden brown and the sweet potatoes are heated through.
Make Ahead Sweet Potato Casserole
I love that you can make this side dish ahead of time since preparing Thanksgiving dinner is very time-consuming. Mix the crumb topping and put it in a zip-top bag. Beat the sweet potato mixture, spread in the baking dish, cover, and store in the fridge overnight. When ready to bake, add the crumb topping.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a combination topping, after 30 minutes of baking remove the casserole from the oven and top it with mini marshmallows. Return it to the oven to melt and toast the marshmallows.
It can be made in a slow cooker, but the crumb topping won’t have the same texture. Follow the recipe, but use a slow cooker instead of a casserole dish. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2-4 hours.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole is the EASIEST way to make this classic!
- Creamy Vegetable Casserole is a classic holiday dinner recipe that everyone loves.
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Casserole is the best side dish for holiday parties!
- Scalloped Potatoes are creamy and delicious.
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast is so easy to make!
Sweet Potato Casserole
Pecan Crumb Topping
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, chopped pecans, flour, and butter for the crumb topping. Set aside.
- Beat the mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger until smooth. Spread in a greased, shallow casserole dish.
- Cover evenly with the crumb topping.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and heated through.