S’mores are one of those things that just scream summer! You know that they can be eaten any time of the year, but who makes s’mores in the middle of February, right? I guess if we weren’t buried in several feet of snow and could build a bonfire, maybe we would have s’mores in the winter. Actually, I do remember toasting marshmallows over a gas store, with my grandma in her apartment, so you really don’t need a bonfire at all. And you don’t need a bonfire to make these S’mores Bars that I am sharing with you today! They have a graham cracker cookie bar crust with chocolate and toasted marshmallows on top… and they can definitely be made year round!
I am super excited to be joining some of blogging friends for S’mores Week! We will all be sharing mouth watering s’mores desserts this week. There are links to the other recipes at the end of my post so be sure to check them out!
Start by making 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs by chopping or crushing about 5 full graham cracker sheets.
Mix together the baking soda and water and set it aside. Cream together shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add vanilla, egg and baking soda/water mix. Gradually beat in flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt. Mix in 1/2 cup of mini Hershey’s Kisses by hand. Spread in a greased 8 inch square pan.
Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes.
Turn the broiler on and top the bars with mini marshmallows. Place the bars under the broiler for 30-60 seconds to toast the marshmallows.
Turn the oven off and sprinkle the bars with more mini Hershey’s Kisses. Return the pan to the still warm oven for a couple of minutes to melt the Kisses.
Allow the bars to cool before cutting them.
These bars around to-die-for! The cookie crust was adapted from these chocolate chip cookie bars which I already love. The addition of graham crackers, toasted marshmallow and Kisses makes them all the better. My sister and her husband just bought a house and they are doing a little updating to the house before they move in. I brought these bars over there to share with everyone who was helping. While I took a brief tour of the house, the bars were devoured! I love sharing delicious food with others!
- ½ tsp water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup shortening
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs, 5 sheets
- 1 cup mini Hershey's Kisses, divided
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix baking soda and water. Set aside.
- Cream together shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, egg and baking soda/water mix.
- Gradually beat in flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt.
- Mix in ½ cup of mini Hershey's Kisses by hand.
- Spread in a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the broiler on.
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows over the bars.
- Place under broiler, for 30-60 seconds, to toast marshmallows.
- Turn oven off and remove the bars.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup of mini Hershey's Kisses and return to the still warm oven for a couple of minutes to soften Kisses.
More S’mores recipes to try: