These Air Fryer French Fries rival those from a restaurant! They are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and easy to make.
Every time we make air fryer french fries, we are amazed at how delicious they are! They are easier to make than deep-fried french fries, not to mention less messy as well. This recipe quickly became a family favorite that we enjoy alongside steak and burgers.
Everything You Need To Make Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
Air Fryer French Fries Ingredients
You can make restaurant-quality French fries at home with only three ingredients! We usually have a bag of potatoes on hand, so we make this recipe often!
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes are perfect for making homemade french fries. They are long, so they are the right size for slicing. But more importantly, they are high in starch and low in moisture, which makes them turn golden brown and crispy on the outside when fried while staying soft on the inside.
- Oil: For the oil, you should choose one that has a neutral flavor so that it doesn’t change the flavor of the french fries. We used vegetable oil, but peanut oil is another great option.
- Salt: We love using sea salt on our fries, but you can choose whatever salt is your favorite or even go with seasoned salt or garlic salt.
How To Make French Fries In An Air Fryer
Although it is easy to make air fryer french fries, they do take a little extra planning ahead because they need to soak first. This extra step ensures that you get the best homemade french fries! You can prep them the day before cooking it makes dinner time even easier.
- Prep: After slicing the potatoes into evenly sized sticks, put the into a bowl of water to soak. They need to soak for at least one hour, but you can also soak them overnight.
- Par Bake: For the crispiest french fries, you need to partially bake the fries, allow them to cool, and then finish frying them. Par baking at a lower temperature cooks the potatoes so that they are tender.
- Air Fry: Once they’ve cooled, cook them in the air fryer at a high temperature until they are crispy and golden on the outside.
Frozen French Fries In Air Fryer
If you want to use frozen, store-bought French fries, you can skip soaking and par-baking them. Cook at 400˚F for 8-12 minutes, shaking halfway through.
Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer
You can swap out the Russett potatoes with sweet potatoes and make sweet potato fries instead! Peel the sweet potatoes and then follow the recipe as directed.
Frequently Asked Questions
French fries need to be cooked for 10 minutes to par-bake them and then for 8-12 minutes to make them crispy.
Air fry french fries at 300˚F to par-bake them, allow them to cool and then make them crispy by air frying them at 400˚F.
Yes, these french fries rival those from your favorite restaurant! We were amazed the first time we tried them!
Want more air fryer recipes? Try these next:
This Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe is the easiest way to cook the perfect chicken breasts and they are ready in only 15 minutes!
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings are a crowd favorite! They are easy to make and you can add any sauce your family likes.
Air Fryer Corn On The Cob is an easy way to make corn without turning the oven on! The sweet corn turns out perfectly every time.
Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Scrub the potatoes (peel if desired) and cut them into sticks that are evenly thick. Place the potato sticks in a bowl and cover them with water. Refrigerate for at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and dry well on paper towels.
- Preheat the air fryer to 300˚F. Coat the potato sticks with one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook them in the air fryer at 300˚F for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through. Remove from the air fryer and spread out on a piece of parchment paper. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F. Coat the french fries with the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook them in the air fryer at 400˚F for 8-12 minutes, or until they are as golden brown and crispy as you like them, shaking them once or twice.
- Remove the basket from the air fryer and sprinkle with sea salt.