This Stuffed Pepper Casserole recipe is a flavorful, cheesy dish that is full of veggies plus rice and two kinds of meat!
We love making stuffed peppers, so we decided to make a casserole version of the same dish! It’s easier to eat, and we love that the peppers are mixed with the other ingredients.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Post Contents
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Ingredients
This recipe calls for two kinds of meat, vegetables, rice, and seasonings. It’s easy to put together, can be prepared ahead of time, and freezes well!
- Meat: This casserole includes both ground beef and ground sausage for the best flavor.
- Seasoning: We added flavor with seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper.
- Bell Peppers: We used red, green, orange, and yellow bell peppers to make this recipe more colorful, but you can choose to use whatever is available.
- Onion: We used red onion for the extra color, but any yellow or white onions would work too.
- Garlic: The minced garlic adds lots of flavor! You can substitute one teaspoon of minced garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Diced Tomatoes: We added one can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies. Do not drain the tomatoes because the liquid adds moisture.
- Rice: This recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice, so be sure to prepare that ahead of time or buy the ready-made rice from the store.
- Cheese: We used shredded pepper jack cheese for the extra flavor, but other shredded cheeses would work too.
- Cilantro: A little chopped cilantro on top of the stuffed pepper casserole adds a pop of color and flavor.
How To Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
To make stuffed pepper casserole, you’ll need to brown the meat, saute the veggies, and then combine all of the ingredients to bake.
- Meat: Start by browning the ground beef and ground sausage. Drain the grease and set the meat aside. You can use the same pan for the next step.
- Veggies: Next, saute the onions, diced peppers, and garlic in the skillet with a little olive oil.
- Casserole: Finally, stir in the browned meat, rice, Rotel, and pasta sauce. Cook for several minutes until heated through. Add most of the shredded cheese and spread in a greased casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake until bubbly.
You can prepare the casserole and then cover and store it in the refrigerator until the next day. Remove the fridge and place on the counter for 30 minutes before baking.
How to Store Leftover Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Allow the leftovers to cool completely. Cover the dish or transfer the leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to two months.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Frequently Asked Questions
Peppers do not have to be cooked beforehand, but they will be more tender if you cook them first.
Want more dinner recipes? Try these next:
This Taco Casserole is a fun way to eat tacos all in one dish! Serve with all of your favorite toppings.
Tater Tot Casserole, known as Tater Tot Hot Dish here in Minnesota, is a classic! The creamy filling is topped with golden brown tater tots and melted cheese.
Tuna Noodle Casserole brings me right back to my childhood! Top it with crushed Ritz crackers or potato chips.
This Chicken Noodle Casserole is the creamy, baked version of everyone’s favorite soup!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 2 cups diced bell peppers
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground sausage
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies do not drain
- ½ cup pasta sauce
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Brown the ground beef and ground sausage, sprinkled with seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper, in a large skillet. Drain the grease. Remove the meat from the pan and set it aside. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- Heat the olive oil in the large skillet. Add diced onion and cook for one minute. Next, add the diced bell peppers and cook for about 3 minutes. Finally, add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and sausage, Rotel, pasta sauce, and cooked rice. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Spread in a greased 2-quart baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Bake at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro.