This Stuffed Pepper Casserole recipe is a flavorful, cheesy dish that is full of veggies plus rice and two kinds of meat!
We love making stuffed peppers so we decided to make a casserole version of the same dish! It’s easier to eat and we love that the peppers are mixed into the other ingredients.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Ingredients
This recipe calls for two kinds of meat, vegetables, rice, and seasonings. It’s easy to put together, can be prepared ahead of time, and it freezes well! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Meat: This casserole includes both ground beef and ground sausage for the best flavor.
- Seasoning: We added flavor with seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper.
- Bell Peppers: We used red, green, orange, and yellow bell peppers to make this recipe more colorful but you can choose to use whatever is available.
- Onion: We used red onion for the extra color but any yellow or white onions would work too.
- Garlic: The minced garlic adds lots of flavor! You can substitute 1 teaspoon of minced garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Diced Tomatoes: We added one can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies. Do not drain the tomatoes because the liquid adds moisture.
- Rice: This recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice so be sure to prepare that ahead of time or buy the ready-made rice from the store.
- Cheese: We used shredded pepper jack cheese for the extra flavor but other shredded cheeses would work too.
- Cilantro: A little chopped cilantro on top of the stuffed pepper casserole adds a pop of color and flavor.
How To Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
To make stuffed pepper casserole you’ll need to brown the meat, saute the veggies, and then combine all of the ingredients to bake. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Meat: Start by browning the ground beef and ground sausage. Drain the grease and set the meat aside. You can use the same pan for the next step.
- Veggies: Next, saute the onions, diced peppers, and garlic in the skillet with a little olive oil.
- Casserole: Finally, stir in the browned meat, rice, Rotel, and pasta sauce. Cook for several minutes until heated through. Add most of the shredded cheese and spread in a greased casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake until bubbly.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Frequently Asked Questions
Peppers do not have to be cooked beforehand but they will be more tender if you cook them first.
Yes, this casserole can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Place it on the counter for 30-60 minutes before baking. You may need to add 5-10 minutes of baking time.
Want more dinner recipes? Try these next:
This Taco Casserole is a fun way to eat tacos all in one dish! Serve with all of your favorite toppings.
Tater Tot Casserole, known as Tater Tot Hot Dish here in Minnesota, is a classic! The creamy filling is topped with golden brown tater tots and melted cheese.
Tuna Noodle Casserole brings me right back to my childhood! Top it with crushed Ritz crackers or potato chips.
This Chicken Noodle Casserole is the creamy, baked version of everyone’s favorite soup!