Butternut Squash Soup is a delicious way to eat more vegetables. This healthy soup is full of flavor and is the perfect dinner on a cold night.
With the new year comes all of the resolutions, many of which include dieting. I don’t like the word diet because it has a negative connotation of deprivation and hunger. I prefer to think of healthy eating as a positive. To think of it as adding in good foods.
To eating more protein, vegetables, and fruits and to drinking more water. I try to focus on the benefits of how delicious the fresh foods are and how great I feel. One of the things I’ve been enjoying this week is this Butternut Squash Soup.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
How To Make Butternut Squash Soup:
Step One: Cook The Squash
Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out all of the seeds. Add a quarter-inch of water to a microwave-safe dish and place both halves in with the cut side down.
Cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for 10-15 minutes. When it can be easily pierced with a fork, scoop out the squash into a bowl and set it aside.
Step Two: Combine Ingredients and Boil
First heat up the onions and garlic in butter in a large pot. Stir in the chicken broth, apple juice, butternut squash puree, and pumpkin puree. Over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Mix in nutmeg, pepper, and salt.
Step Three: Blend
Garnish the butternut squash soup with a sour cream swirl and sprinkle with roasted seeds.
Butternut Squash Soup FAQs
1. Can I save this soup? Yes, this soup freezes well. Store in airtight containers in the freezer.
2. Best way to reheat this? You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
3. Can I make this ahead of time? Yes, and store for 2-3 days or place in freezer if you want to store for longer.
4. What to serve with butternut squash soup? Crusty bread and a green leafy salad.
Other Great Squash Recipes To Try:
Skip the carbs and try this recipe for spaghetti squash with meatballs. This healthy dinner recipe for squash boats is a great way to eat extra vegetables!
This Easy Acorn Squash Recipe is a healthy side dish and a great way to get more veggies in your diet!
This roasted butternut squash recipe includes green apples and candied walnuts. Serve this vegetable side dish with your holiday dinner for a taste of fall.
Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash Rounds by Five Heart Home…an easy and delicious squash recipe requiring just two ingredients: yellow squash and grated Parmesan!
Butternut Squash SoupPrint Pin Rate
- Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place both halves, cut side down in a microwave-safe dish and add a quarter inch of water to the dish. Cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for 10-15 minutes or until it can be easily pierced with a fork. Scoop out the squash and set aside.
- Fry onions and garlic in butter in a large pot. Stir in chicken broth, apple juice, butternut squash puree and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in nutmeg, pepper, and salt.
- Carefully pour the soup into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. This step can be done in batches, if necessary.
- Garnish with sour cream and roasted seeds.