This Easy Chili Recipe comes together in minutes. It is full of flavor and is the perfect comfort food for a weeknight dinner!
Warm up with a bowl of chili and a slice of skillet cornbread on the side! There are a million different ways to make chili and everyone has their preferences as to what they want in their chili. Some want just the meat and beans while others want all of the things!
In This Post: Everything You Need To Make Easy Chili
- Easy Chili Recipe Ingredients
- Best Meat For Chili
- What Can Be Added To An Easy Chili Recipe
- Toppings For Chili
- Frequently Asked Questions About This Easy Chili Recipe
Easy Chili Recipe Ingredients
This easy chili recipe from my mom is perfect for those who want simple chili with only a few ingredients. For those who want more, I’ve included lots of suggestions and ideas to make this chili in various ways.
- Ground Beef: We used ground beef as the meat in this easy chili recipe. See the section below for additional types of meat that you could use.
- Onion: Minced onions provide flavor. You can use dried minced onions or mince a fresh onion depending on what you have on hand.
- Seasonings: We seasoned the meat with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Beans: This easy chili recipe uses two cans of chili beans in mild sauce. You can use other types of beans if you prefer but you’ll want to add additional seasonings such as chili powder, garlic, and cumin to make up for the flavors of the mild sauce.
- Tomato: For the tomatoes, we added a can of condensed tomato soup. It is the perfect way to get the tomato flavor without chunks of tomatoes.
- Water: The water helps thin the chili. You can add more or less depending on how thick you want your chili to be.
Best Meat For Chili
We prefer using 80/20 ground beef when making chili. You can swap out some or all of the ground beef in this easy chili recipe for another meat. A different meat choice can not only switch up the flavor of the chili but also make it lighter in some cases. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sausage: Add some ground pork sausage to the ground beef for additional flavor.
- Chicken: Swap out the ground beef with ground chicken. Or use a combination of the two.
- Turkey: Try using ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Vegetarian: Skip the meat and add more beans and some vegetables instead.
What Can Be Added To An Easy Chili Recipe
We started off with this quick, easy chili recipe that can be enjoyed as is or ingredients can be easily adapted to what your family likes. Here are some ideas for additional ingredients:
- Beans: pinto beans, chili beans, kidney beans, black beans
- Vegetables: tomatoes, corn, carrots, onions, celery
- Peppers: bell peppers, jalapenos, chile peppers
- Spices: cumin, oregano, garlic, chili powder, paprika
Toppings For Chili
Simple, basic chili is good, of course, but adding toppings takes it to the next level! Since everyone likes different toppings for chili, put the toppings in small bowls and let everyone add what they want. Here are some popular toppings for chili:
- Veggies: chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, diced avocado
- Dairy: shredded cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt
- Salty: corn chips, tortilla chips, croutons, crackers
Frequently Asked Questions About This Easy Chili Recipe
Yes, chili is one of those things that freezes well! Store any leftover chili in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Or you can make this easy chili recipe ahead of time and freeze it in individual portions for a quick lunch or dinner.
Yes, you can make this easy chili recipe in a slow cooker instead of on the stovetop. Brown the ground beef as directed in the instructions. Then, put everything into a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 – 3 1/2 hours or low for 6 hours, until heated through.
Want more soup recipes? Try these next:
- Spicy Corn and Sausage Chowder is made with potatoes, cheese, and tomatoes. This hearty soup is perfect for cold nights.
- Warm up with a bowl of hearty White Chicken Chili topped with shredded cheese and chopped cilantro and served with cornbread.
- This Slow Cooker Corn Chowder Recipe with Potatoes and Ham is the perfect comfort food for dinner! It is a family favorite!
- Our Slow Cooker Taco Soup recipe is so easy to make. Just brown the meat and then put everything in the crockpot to cook.