This Christmas Sugar Cookie Chex Party Mix recipe is a fun way to let kids help in the kitchen! Put in mason jars for homemade gifts for grandmas, teachers, friends, and bus drivers! It’s sweet, crunchy Christmas Muddy Buddies that taste like sugar cookies. Sponsored by Chex™.
We all grew up eating Chex Mix™ during the holidays and throughout the year. In my family, we usually had puppy chow, also known as muddy buddies.
My husband’s family always makes the traditional, savory Chex Mix for their holiday gatherings. But how many of you have passed the tradition on to your children?
Kids love to help in the kitchen. They can help with stirring, pouring, and mixing. It’s a great way to work on their measuring skills and they are proud of what they accomplished when they get to eat and share what they made.
Today’s recipe for Christmas Sugar Cookie Chex Party Mix, is a fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen this holiday season. My sister’s two youngest kids were at my house recently and I asked them if they would like to help me make Christmas Muddy Buddies and they were super excited!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
My two-year-old nephew dumped the Rice Chex cereal into a large bowl. He did a great job holding the measuring cup steady while I filled it.
We all counted out loud as he poured six cups of Rice Chex cereal into the bowl.
My four-year-old niece put the butter into a microwave safe bowl.
After I melted it in the microwave, she stirred in the sugar, water, and vanilla.
Both my niece and my nephew stirred the cereal to coat it with the butter/sugar mixture.
After I microwaved the cereal, coating it with powdered sugar and drizzled it with melted white chocolate, the kids added the sprinkles.
This was their FAVORITE part and they added a TON of sprinkles, which was totally adorable!
Once the white chocolate was set, we put some of the Christmas Sugar Cookie Chex Party Mix into a mason jar and added a festive ribbon for them to give to their mom.
These Christmas Muddy Buddies would be a fun homemade gift for the kids to give to grandparents, teachers and bus drivers. My niece and nephew shared the rest of their creation with their sisters, brother, and cousins, all of whom were very impressed.
I love that the recipe was so easy to make that we were able to make it together! My niece told her mom, her dad, and her grandma all about how she got to “bake” with Tonia and how much fun the sprinkles were.
Christmas Sugar Cookie Chex Party Mix
- In large microwavable bowl, measure cereal; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on High 30 seconds or until melted. Add granulated sugar and water; microwave uncovered on
- High 30 seconds or until mixture is heated and can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 4 minutes, stirring every minute, until thoroughly glazed. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; mix well. Spread on cookie sheet.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave white chocolate uncovered on High 30 to 60 seconds, or until it can be stirred smooth. Place in small resealable food-storage plastic bag; cut off small corner of bag. Squeeze bag to drizzle white chocolate over snack mix; sprinkle with edible glitter.
- Cool until white chocolate is set, about 10 minutes.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Chex™. The opinions and text are all mine.