This Corn Fritter recipe makes tender little fried balls of dough with bits of sweet corn inside. Serve them warm with maple syrup and honey drizzled on top.
Corn fritters can be served as an appetizer or snack. And they can also be served as a side with burgers, chicken or seafood.
What is a corn fritter?
Simply put a corn fritter is a fritter with corn in it. Which leads one to ask what is a fritter? A fritter is a small portion of fried dough with or without anything inside it. Fritters can be sweet like an apple fritter or savory like a corn fritter.
Put flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl and stir to combine.
What spices can be added to corn fritter batter?
You can add spices to your corn fritters to make them more flavorful. Here are a few suggestions:
- add ground cinnamon and more sugar for a sweeter option
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cajun seasoning
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
Add the milk, eggs, and melted butter.
Fold in fresh sweet corn cut from the cob. This would also be a great way to use leftover corn from boiling corn on the cob for your family!
Can I use canned corn?
We love using fresh sweet corn in this corn fritter recipe but canned or frozen corn would also work. If using canned corn, drain it first. And if using frozen corn, it needs to be thawed before using it.
Scoop the corn fritter batter using a tablespoon size dough scoop.
What else can I add to this corn fritter recipe?
We kept is basic and only added the corn to the fritters but the sky is the limit when it comes to options. Here are a few suggestions:
- crumbled bacon
- minced onion
- chopped chives
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crab meat
- diced jalapenos
Deep Frying Food
There are a couple of options when it comes to deep frying food at home. You can use a large heavy bottomed pot on the stovetop with a thermometer or use a deep fryer.
We opted to purchase a deep fryer to use when deep frying food. It can hold up to 12 cups of oil and 8 cups of food. You can find our exact deep fryer here. These are a few of the advantages of using a deep fryer:
- Temperature: The deep fryer heats the oil and maintains the temperature. You choose the temperature you would like the oil to be and a green light comes on when it is ready.
- Thermometer: The thermometer is built into the deep fryer. There is no need for an external one unless you want to double check the temperature.
- Wire Basket: There is a wire frying basket for lowering and raising food in the fryer.
- Cover: There is a vented, removable cover with a view window.
Our deep fryer does limit the size and the shape of the items we are frying. It also has a max temperature of 375˚ and we had to purchase it rather than use what we already had on hand.
Always keep in mind that you need to be cautious when frying food. Keep the oil at a steady temperature and always stay close by.
Carefully add the dough to hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning as needed.
Use the wire basket on the fryer or a spider spoon to lift the golden corn fritters from the oil.
Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Can you freeze corn fritters?
Yes, you can freeze corn fritters after cooking them. Store them in an airtight container or freezer ziptop bag. When ready to use, thaw on the counter for 1 hour.
Can you reheat corn fritters?
You can reheat corn fritters in the oven, toaster oven, air fryer, or in a frying pan. Corn fritters can be warmed up in the microwave in a pinch but they will not be very crispy.
Want more fair food recipes? Try these next:
This Fried Cheese Curds recipe was so easy to make. These deep fried white cheddar cheese curds are the BEST appetizer and the perfect comfort food!
Corn Fritter Recipe
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the egg, milk, and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the corn.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer (or use a heavy pot) to 365˚F.
- Add several spoonfuls of corn batter to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown filling halfway through.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.