Cheesy Corn Nuggets are crispy on the outside with creamy, melted cheese and corn on the inside! Serve as a tasty appetizer or side dish.
Corn nuggets are similar to jalapeno popper bites with corn kernels instead of diced jalapenos. They have an irresistible combination of flavors and textures that the whole family will love.
What To Know About Corn Nuggets
Ingredients Needed For Cheese Corn Nuggets
To make this cheese corn nugget recipe, you’ll need the ingredients to make the filling as well as the ingredients to make the breading. Make sure to see the recipe below for complete instructions with measurements.
Cheesy Filling Ingredients
- Cheese: We used shredded mozzarella cheese because it melts so well and has a mild flavor. For something spicier, go with shredded pepper jack cheese instead.
- Cream Cheese: The cream cheese holds the filling together and makes it creamy.
- Corn: You can use canned corn, fresh sweet corn, or frozen corn that has been thawed.
- Sugar: The sugar adds a little sweetness to the filling.
- Seasonings: To add flavor to the filling, we used salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Flour: The all-purpose flour makes a dry, even surface for the eggs to stick to.
- Eggs: The beaten eggs stick to the flour and then help the breadcrumbs mixture adhere.
- Bread Crumbs: We used plain breadcrumbs, but panko or seasoned breadcrumbs would work too.
- Cornmeal: We added cornmeal to the breading because we are making corn nuggets!
- Seasoning: To season the breading, we used salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Peanut Oil: We used peanut oil for deep frying, but vegetable oil can be used as well.
- Parsley: A little parsley makes a great garnish!
How To Make Corn Nuggets
There are three main steps to making this deep fried corn nuggets recipe: make the filling, coat in breading, and deep-fry.
- Filling: Mix together the filling ingredients, form the nuggets, and chill them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Breading: This is a three-step breading process. First, coat the balls in flour, then in the beaten eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Deep-Fry: Carefully deep-fry the sweet corn nuggets until they are golden brown.
Storage And Reheating
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or keep the little corn bites in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheat: Rewarm the cheese corn nuggets in the oven at 375˚ for 5-8 minutes or throw them in the microwave on high for 15-20 seconds
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can cook the corn nuggets in batches in an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 375˚F, place several nuggets in the basket, coat them with olive oil spray, and cook for 5-8 minutes, flipping halfway through. You’ll be enjoying corn nuggets air fryer style in no time!
Yes, they can be made ahead of time. After adding the breading to the cheese balls, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Or store them in the freezer for up to three months, and thaw the frozen corn nuggets in the refrigerator overnight.
Corn nuggets are small, deep-fried snacks made from sweet corn, flour, and eggs. We added cheese, cream cheese, and various seasonings, along with a crispy breading, to make them extra delicious.
More Appetizer Recipes
Make this loaded Nachos recipe to serve at your next party or surprise your family with sheet pan nachos dinner with all of their favorite toppings!
This crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe is a crowd favorite! So easy to make and full of flavor. Coat with sauce and watch them disappear.
Ultimate Jalapenos Popper recipe for a party appetizer that everyone loves! Crispy on the outside with melted cheese and bacon on the inside.
This deep Fried Pickles recipe is a fun way to eat fair food at home! Serve the crispy fried pickles on a stick as an appetizer with dipping sauce.
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ¾ cup fresh sweet corn kernels or 15.25 oz can corn, drained
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- peanut oil for frying
- ½ teaspoon parsley optional garnish
- Mix together the shredded mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, corn, sugar, salt, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Scoop the mixture and form it into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Put the flour into one bowl and the beaten eggs in a second bowl. In the third bowl, combine the cornmeal, plain bread crumbs, salt, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Coat the balls with flour, then with the beaten eggs, and finally coat with the bread crumbs mixture.
- Place the corn nuggets in a parchment-lined pan and place them in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer (or use a large pot with a thermometer) to 365˚F. Carefully fry several bites at once for 2 minutes, until golden brown. Since oil may splatter if the filling spills out, cover the fryer, wear long sleeves, and use oven mitts to protect your hands.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.