Cheesy Corn Nuggets are crispy on the outside with creamy, melted cheese and corn on the inside! Serve as a tasty appetizer or side dish.
Corn nuggets are similar to jalapeno popper bites with corn kernels instead of diced jalapenos. They have an irresistible combination of flavors and textures that the whole family will love.
Corn Nuggets Ingredients
To make corn nuggets you’ll need the ingredients to make the filling as well as the ingredients to make the breading. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
Corn Nuggets Filling
- Cheese: We used shredded mozzarella cheese because it melts so well and has a mild flavor. For something spicier, go with shredded pepper jack cheese instead.
- Cream Cheese: The cream cheese holds the filling together and makes it creamy.
- Corn: You can use canned corn, fresh sweet corn, or frozen corn that has been thawed.
- Sugar: The sugar adds a little sweetness to the filling.
- Seasonings: To add flavor to the filling we used salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Flour: The all-purpose flour makes a dry even surface for the eggs to stick to.
- Eggs: The beaten eggs stick to the flour and then help the breadcrumbs mixture adhere.
- Bread Crumbs: We used plain breadcrumbs but panko or seasoned breadcrumbs would work too.
- Cornmeal: We added cornmeal to the breading because we are making corn nuggets!
- Seasoning: To season the breading we used salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Peanut Oil: We used peanut oil for deep frying but vegetable oil can be used as well.
- Parsley: A little parsley makes a great garnish!
How To Make Corn Nuggets
There are three main steps to making corn nuggets: make the filling, coat in breading, and deep-fry. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Filling: Mix together the filling ingredients, form the nuggets, and chill them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Breading: This is a three-step breading process. First coat the balls in flour, then in beaten eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Deep-Fry: Carefully deep fry the corn nuggets until they are golden brown.
Corn Nuggets Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can cook the corn nuggets in batches in an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 375˚F, place several nuggets in the basket, coat them with olive oil spray and cook for 5-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Reheat the corn nuggets in the oven at 375˚ for 5-8 minutes or warm them in the microwave on high for 15-20 seconds.
Yes, these corn nuggets can be made ahead of time. After adding the breading to the cheese balls, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for 2-3 days. Or store them in the freezer, for up to three months, and thaw them in the refrigerator overnight.
Want more appetizer recipes? Try these next:
Make this loaded Nachos recipe to serve at your next party or surprise your family with sheet pan nachos dinner with all of their favorite toppings!
This crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe is a crowd favorite! So easy to make and full of flavor. Coat with sauce and watch them disappear.
Ultimate Jalapenos Popper recipe for a party appetizer that everyone loves! Crispy on the outside with melted cheese and bacon on the inside.
This deep Fried Pickles recipe is a fun way to eat fair food at home! Serve the crispy fried pickles on a stick as an appetizer with dipping sauce.