This Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake is the best combination of soft chocolate chip cookies and smooth vanilla ice cream!
What a fabulous combination: chocolate chip cookies and ice cream! I needed a dessert to share with friends last week and this is what I came up with. The recipe for chocolate chip cookie bars, from my friend Roanna, is the BEST out there and is typically made in a 9×13 inch pan!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
Start by creaming together the butter, shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
I like to use a combination of butter and shortening rather than butter only. The shortening makes the cookie bars more tender and the butter adds flavor.
Next, stir in the vanilla, eggs and the baking soda/water mixture.
Gradually stir in the flour and salt. Don’t add it all at once or mix it at too high a speed or the flour will spray all over the kitchen!
Then, mix in 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips. Or if you prefer, you can use a combination of semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips.
I typically make my chocolate chip cookie bars in a large jelly roll pan but since these bars are turning into a three layer cake, they need to be baked in cake pans.
Divide the cookie dough between three greased 9-inch cake pans and spread it out into a somewhat even layer. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
Flip the pans over and smack the bottom to release the cookie. Then, put it on a platter and spread slightly softened vanilla ice cream over it. Working quickly, do the same with the middle layer.
Top with remaining chocolate chip cookie and a scoop of ice cream. Then drizzle with chocolate, letting some drip down the sides. Promptly put the cake into the freezer until ready to serve.
Want More Cookie Bar Recipes? Try These Next:
This recipe for Brown Butter Sugar Cookie Bars with Fluffy Buttercream Frosting is perfect for serving at parties and easier to make than sugar cookies.
This White Chocolate Pecan Cookie Bars recipe is beyond amazing with smooth white chocolate, crunchy pecans, and a delicious fudgy center! It’s a copycat recipe of Applebee’s Butter Pecan Blondies.
Monster Cookie Bars are so much easier to make than cookies! This monster cookie bars recipe includes oatmeal, peanut butter, M&M’s and chocolate chips.
These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are meant to be shared! Why spend all that time scooping chocolate chip cookie dough when you can make chocolate chip cookie bars?
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
- Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda with 1 teaspoon water and set aside.
- Cream together shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, eggs and baking soda/water mix.
- Gradually beat in flour and salt.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between 3 greased 9-inch cake pans (or a 9×13 inch pan for bars) and spread out.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes (20-25 minutes for 9×13) until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Flip the pans over and smack the bottom to release the cookie. Put it on a platter and spread slightly softened vanilla ice cream over it. Working quickly, do the same with the middle layer. Top with remaining chocolate chip cookie and a scoop of ice cream.
- Drizzle with chocolate letting some drip down the sides. Promptly put the cake into the freezer until ready to serve.