This homemade Pumpkin Scones recipe is easy to make! Drizzle these fall scones with white chocolate and enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
Scones don’t get nearly the attention they deserve! Everyone likes to talk about pumpkin muffins and pumpkin doughnuts, but I’ve got to admit that there’s nothing like starting the day off with a fresh pumpkin scone. This easy pumpkin scone recipe is perfect for fall.
Included In This Post
How To Make Pumpkin Scones
First, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
To make cutting in the butter easy, I love grating the butter rather than using a pastry blender to cut it in. Grating the butter works best if you start with frozen butter. Then, add the grated butter and stir it into the dry ingredients with a fork.
In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, three tablespoons of heavy cream, an egg, and the vanilla. Then, add it to the flour mixture and stir with a fork until the mixture starts to come together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured silicone mat. Knead it a couple of times until you can form the dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut the dough into eight wedges with a floured knife.
Place the wedges of dough on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining tablespoon of heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake the scones at 400˚F for 14-16 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
Cool the spiced pumpkin scones on a wire rack. Then, melt the white chocolate chips and drizzle them over the scones. To make even drizzles of white chocolate, put the melted white chocolate into a pastry bag with the tip snipped off.
Other Ways To Make Them
Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
The only difference between this recipe and the Starbucks Pumpkin Scones recipe is the way you add the toppings. Here’s how you can make the copycat fall scones.
- Spread the melted white chocolate chips over the scones in an even layer. You can thin the melted white chocolate chips with a teaspoon of shortening if it is too thick.
- Once the white chocolate icing is set, mix together some powdered sugar glaze with pumpkin pie spice. Whisk together 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of whole milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Drizzle this over the white chocolate layer.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
Love the combination of pumpkin and chocolate? Add chocolate chips to the scones!
- Stir one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter. Then, bake as directed.
- Drizzle with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is really easy to make your own pumpkin pie spice using the spices already in your pantry. Mix together 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
Definitely! If you don’t want to grate frozen butter, you can cut in cold butter using a pastry blender or two knives.
Try adding cinnamon chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried cranberries.
More Scone Recipes To Try
- These Cinnamon Scones are perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee in the morning.
- These Triple Chocolate Banana Scones are moist and delicious!
- Toffee Scones – Sweet, crunchy toffee pairs up perfectly with the soft scones.
- Scones meet banana bread in these low sugar Banana Nut Scones!
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Grate the frozen butter and stir into the flour mixture with a fork. (Or you cut cold butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly.)
- In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir with a fork until the mixture comes together. Do not over mix.
- Turn out onto a floured silicone mat. Knead a couple of times until you can form an 8-inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges with a floured knife. Separate the wedges and place them on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Brush each scone with the remaining tablespoon of heavy cream. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 14 to 16 minutes until the edges start to brown.
- Once the scones have cooled, melt the white chocolate chips and drizzle over the scones.