These roasted Everything Pumpkin Seeds topped with everything bagel seasoning! Save the pumpkin seeds to make a yummy snack.
Every year my kids want to carve pumpkins just to get the seeds (aka pepitas) so that I will make roasted pumpkin seeds. Over the years we’ve made so many different flavors from bacon to ranch. This year we decided to flavor the pepitas with everything bagel seasoning.
Cut the top off of a large pumpkin (or a couple of small pumpkins) using a sharp kitchen knife or a serrated knife meant for cutting pumpkins.
Use a sturdy spoon or spatula to scrape the pulp and seeds away from the sides. For these everything pumpkin seeds, we used an ice cream spade and it worked great!
Put the seeds in a large colander and rinse under running water.
Separate the bits of remaining pulp and discard. Drain well.
Put the seeds in a saucepan and add the water and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain well.
Why boil the pumpkin seeds?
Boiling the pepitas in salt water prior to roasting makes for crunchier, more flavorful pepitas and helps to get some of the salt to the inside.
Is there an alternative to boiling the pumpkin seeds in salt water?
Yes, you can soak the pumpkin seeds in salt water overnight, if you prefer. This method is great for those times when you want to put off the roasting until the next day. Pour the seeds into a large pot. Add the water and salt. Soak in salt water overnight. Drain well before seasoning and roasting the seeds.
Pour the seeds into a bowl. Add olive oil and everything bagel seasoning. Stir to coat.
What is everything bagel seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning, also known as everything seasoning, is a blend of sesame seeds, onion, garlic, poppy seeds, and salt. It is a combination of “everything” used to flavor bagels. The blend is available at some grocery stores or you can make it yourself with my everything bagel seasoning recipe found here.
Spread the everything pumpkin seeds in a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes, stirring and turning every 5 minutes, until golden and crunchy. Store in an airtight container.
Although everything bagel seasoning gives the roasted pepitas good flavor, it doesn’t stick very well. So, you can spray them lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle them with additional seasoning, if desired.
Want to roast more pumpkin seeds? Try these flavors next:
This crave-worthy Bacon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe is one that everyone will love!
This fall try making Ranch Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. They are so good that they are hard to stop eating!
Seasoned Salt Roasted Pepitas are simple, flavorful, and make the perfect fall snack!
Make Garlic Roasted Pepitas with all of the leftover seeds from carving jack-o-lanterns for Halloween. They are a delicious, nutritious snack!
Everything Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 large pumpkin about 1 1/2 cups of seeds
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- Cut the top of the pumpkin off using a sharp kitchen knife or a serrated pumpkin carving knife.
- Scrape away the pumpkin seeds and scoop them out of the pumpkin leaving behind as much of the pulp as possible.
- Put the seeds in a colander and rinse under running water while removing any remaining bits of pumpkin pulp and fibrous strands.
- Pour the pumpkin seeds into a saucepan. Add the water and salt. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the seeds to a bowl and add olive oil and everything bagel seasoning. Stir to coat.
- Spread in a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 375˚F for about 25-30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes roasting until golden and crunchy. Store the pumpkin seeds in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply