These crispy Everything Bagel Pumpkin Seeds are topped with everything bagel seasoning! Make these roasted pepitas for a flavorful snack!
Every year, my kids want to carve pumpkins just to get the seeds (aka pepitas) so that I can make roasted pumpkin seeds. Over the years, we’ve made so many different flavors, from bacon to ranch. This year, we decided to flavor the roasted pepitas with everything bagel seasoning.
Everything Pumpkin Seeds Ingredients
- Large Pumpkin: We used a large pumpkin because it has more seeds.
- Water: The water is used for boiling the seeds prior to roasting.
- Salt: Salt is added when boiling to help make the seeds crispier and to get some of the salt to the inside.
- Olive Oil: The olive oil allows the salt and the seasoning to stick to the seeds.
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning: This seasoning mix adds so much flavor!
How to Make Everything Bagel Pumpkin Seeds
Cut the top off of a large pumpkin (or a couple of small pumpkins) using a sharp kitchen knife or a serrated knife meant for cutting pumpkins.
Use a sturdy spoon or spatula to scrape the pulp and seeds away from the sides. For these everything bagel pumpkin seeds, we used an ice cream spade, and it worked great!
Put the seeds in a large colander and rinse under running water.
Separate the bits of remaining pulp and discard. Drain well.
Put the seeds in a saucepan and add the water and salt. Bring the water and seeds to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer the seeds for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well.
Pour the seeds into a bowl. Add olive oil and everything bagel seasoning. Stir to coat.
Spread the everything pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes, stirring and turning every 5 minutes, until golden and crunchy. Allow them to cool, and then store them in an airtight container.
Although everything bagel seasoning gives the roasted pepitas good flavor, it doesn’t stick very well. So, you can spray them lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle them with additional seasoning, if desired.
Ways To Use Roasted Pepitas
Our favorite thing to do with everything bagel pumpkin seeds is to enjoy them as a snack! But you can also use roasted pepitas in other ways.
- Soup: Try them on soups like butternut squash soup or taco soup!
- Salad: Sprinkle them on salads like taco salad and chicken fajita salad.
- Trail Mix: Add them to your savory trail mix or Chex snack mix.
Frequently Asked Questions
Boiling them in salt water prior to roasting makes for crunchier, more flavorful seeds and helps to get some of the salt to the inside.
Yes, you can soak the pumpkin seeds in salt water overnight if you prefer. This method is great for those times when you want to put off the roasting until the next day. Pour the seeds into a large pot. Add the water and salt. Soak in salt water overnight. Drain well before seasoning and roasting the seeds.
Everything bagel seasoning, also known as everything seasoning, is a blend of sesame seeds, onion, garlic, poppy seeds, and salt. It’s a combination of “everything” used to flavor bagels. The blend is available at some grocery stores, or you can make it yourself with my everything bagel seasoning recipe.
Store roasted pepitas in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- This Bacon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe is truly crave-worthy!
- Ranch Roasted Pumpkin Seeds are so good that they are hard to stop eating.
- These Seasoned Salt Roasted Pepitas make the perfect fall snack!
- Garlic Roasted Pepitas are a delicious, nutritious snack that your family will love.
Everything Pumpkin Seeds
- Cut the top of the pumpkin off using a sharp kitchen knife or a serrated pumpkin carving knife.
- Scrape away the pumpkin seeds and scoop them out of the pumpkin leaving behind as much of the pulp as possible.
- Put the seeds in a colander and rinse under running water while removing any remaining bits of pumpkin pulp and fibrous strands.
- Pour the pumpkin seeds into a saucepan. Add the water and salt. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the seeds to a bowl and add olive oil and everything bagel seasoning. Stir to coat.
- Spread in a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 375˚F for about 25-30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes roasting until golden and crunchy. Store the pumpkin seeds in an airtight container.