Homemade Peppermint Patty Bars are cool and minty, smooth and creamy. They’re BETTER than store-bought peppermint patties and EASIER to make!
One of our holiday traditions is making homemade peppermint patties based on a recipe from my sister. This year I decided to make an easier version. This peppermint patty bars recipe has the best combination of chocolate and mint!
Start by putting semi-sweet chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup in a microwave safe bowl.
Could I use dark chocolate to make these peppermint patty bars?
Yes, you could use dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet to make these bars. Another option would be to use mint chocolate chips and skip adding the peppermint extract to the melted chocolate. I would not recommend using milk chocolate chips in this recipe because it would be too sweet.
Heat in the microwave at 50% powder for two minutes and stir well.
Continue heating at 50% power in 15 seconds intervals, stirring after each time, until smooth. Then, stir in the peppermint extract.
Spread half of the mixture in a foil lined 9-inch pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator to chill and harden. Set the remaining chocolate aside for later.
Put the powdered sugar, two tablespoons of half-n-half, melted coconut oil, corn syrup, peppermint extract, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
After mixing the ingredients, if it looks crumbly as in the photo above, add more of the half-n-half.
Continue mixing until the filling for the peppermint patty bars is evenly moistened, thick paste.
Remove the pan for the refrigerator and top with the filling mixture. There are a couple of ways to add the peppermint filling. If the chocolate has hardened completely, you can press the filling into the pan with a spoon or a spatula.
Another option is to roll out the peppermint patty bar filling into a 9-inch square, out on a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Then, turn the parchment over into the pan and peel it off of the filling.
Top the filling layer with the remaining melted chocolate. The chocolate may need to be warming again briefly in the microwave so that it is once again spreadable.
Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the chocolate topping. Place the pan in the refrigerator to chill and harden.
Remove the pan from the refrigerator and use the foil to lift the peppermint patties bars from the pan. Cut the bars into pieces. I cut bars at an angle but you can cut them into any shape or size.
How else could I garnish the peppermint patty bars?
These bars were garnished with crushed candy canes which do tend to soften over time. They can also be garnished with peppermint crunch baking chips, chopped peppermint bark, or sprinkles. If you prefer a smoother top, you can leave them plain or drizzle the top with red candy melts.
Want more peppermint recipes? Try these next:
These pretty pink Peppermint Cookies with a candy cane crunch are topped with smooth peppermint buttercream frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes!
Peppermint Bark has layers of swirled chocolate topped with crunchy peppermint candies! Give as Christmas gifts or Valentine’s Day gifts wrapped in cellophane bags tied with ribbon.
These Chocolate Peppermint Brownies have a fudgy chocolate brownie base and melt-in-your-mouth peppermint buttercream frosting topped with smooth chocolate mint icing and crushed candy canes.
This Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups recipe has chocolate cookie cups filled with peppermint ganache and a candy cane handle topped with crushed candy canes and mini marshmallows.
Peppermint Patty Bars
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- Heat the chocolate chips, butter, and light corn syrup in the microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir and continue heating at 50% power in 15-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth.
- Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Spread ½ of chocolate coating in the bottom of a foil-lined 8-inch square pan. Place in the refrigerator to harden. Set the remaining chocolate aside.
- Peppermint Patties Filling
- Mix together the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of half-n-half, the melted coconut oil, corn syrup, peppermint extract, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Add 1-2 additional tablespoons of half-n-half, if the dough is too crumbly.
- Remove the hardened chocolate in the pan from the refrigerator and press the filling into the pan
- Top with the remaining ½ of the chocolate coating (re-melt in the microwave if needed). Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Return to the refrigerator to harden.
- Use the foil to lift the peppermint patties bars from the pan. Cut the bars into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.