Red, White, and Blue Pretzel Bites are made with mini candy bars and pretzels! A patriotic dessert for the Fourth of July and Memorial Day!
It’s time to start sharing red, white, and blue desserts so that you will be ready when the summer holidays hit. With Memorial Day at the start of summer, the 4th of July in the middle, and Labor Day at the end, there are lots of opportunities to make patriotic desserts.
These red, white, and blue pretzel bites are an easy treat to make and look pretty on the dessert table at a potluck or barbecue. It’s a wonderful combination of crunchy, salty pretzels and sweet, creamy chocolate. Plus, the candy bars have caramel, nougat, and/or nuts in them, adding a delicious surprise.
What You’ll Find In This Post
- Pretzels: We love using pretzel snaps for these treats because they are the exact right size! But you can also use pretzel twists.
- Candy Bars: Mini candy bars fit well on the pretzels. We used a bag of mixed candy bars, but you can go with just one flavor if you prefer.
- Candy Melts: This recipe uses red, white, and blue melting candy wafers. You can find them online or at craft stores such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby.
- Sprinkles: Red, white, and blue sprinkles look great on top!
How To Make Red, White, and Blue Pretzel Bites
Patriotic desserts don’t get much easier than this, with only four ingredients needed. These Red, White, and Blue Pretzel Bites are so much fun all of the summer holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day!
Step One: Put mini candy bars on square pretzels on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. I used Milky Way, Snickers, and 3 Musketeers.
Step Two: Bake at 300° for about 3 minutes to soften the chocolate, but not completely melt it.
Step Three: Top with another pretzel and gently press it into the chocolate.
Step Four: Allow the chocolate to cool and harden. Melt red, white, and blue candy melts in three small bowls in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Dip the candy bar pretzel bites halfway into the melted candy.
Step Five: Sprinkle with red, white, and blue sprinkles and put them back on the silicone mat to cool and harden.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make Ahead: You can make these treats ahead of time and serve them to family and friends at a 4th of July celebration or backyard BBQ.
- Storage: Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. If you are bringing these treats to an outdoor celebration, keep in mind that they will melt in the heat, so you will want to put them in a cooler until serving them. You can store them in the freeze for 1-2 months, but the appearance of the candy coating and candy bars may change.
Yes, you can store them in an airtight freezer-safe container for 1-2 months.
You can use pretzel twists or any pretzel shape that is available. Readers have also made them with Ritz crackers.
You can use different colors of melting candy wafers and sprinkles to match the holiday!
More Red, White, and Blue Desserts
- Red, White, and Blue, Ooey Gooey Bars have Rice Krispies treats on top!
- These fun Fireworks Cupcakes are perfect for the 4th of July!
- This Red, White, and Blue Cake has a light, fluffy cheesecake frosting.
- Patriotic Jello Poke Cupcakes are full of flavor!
Red, White, and Blue Pretzel Bites
- Put 20 square pretzels on a silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- Top with mini candy bars.
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 3 minutes.
- Top with more pretzels and press down gently.
- Allow the chocolate to harden and cool.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave in small glass bowls. Dip one side of the candy bar pretzel sandwich into melted candy melts.
- Add sprinkles and return to the silicone mat to cool and harden.
- Room Temp: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Cooler: Store them in a cooler when you bring them to an outdoor event on a hot day.
- Freezer: Store them in an airtight, freezer-safe container for 1-2 months.