Oven Roasted Carrots are an easy, flavorful side. These honey glazed carrots are done in under 30 minutes! Try them with whipped ricotta!
My friends and I had dinner at a restaurant while on vacation, and although our whole meal was delicious, surprisingly, the star of the night was the roasted carrots with whipped ricotta with honey! Once we returned home from our trip, I wanted to create my own version at home so that I could eat them again.
What You’ll Find In This Post
- Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
- How To Cut Carrots
- How To Make Honey Glazed Carrots
- What To Serve With Glazed Carrots
- How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
- How To Freeze Roasted Carrots
- Frequently Asked Questions
- You’ll Love These Veggie Recipes Too
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
With fresh carrots, a honey glaze, and a few seasonings, you can make the most delicious roasted carrots that your family will love!
- Carrots: For this recipe, we recommend using whole carrots that you will peel and slice. You can get various colored carrots to make the dish fancier. Although baby carrots can be used in a pinch, they aren’t as flavorful or as sweet, and they don’t look as pretty.
- Honey Glaze: The delicious honey glaze is made with melted butter and honey.
- Seasoning: We seasoned the carrots with fresh thyme, sea salt, and coarse ground black pepper.
How To Cut Carrots
Since carrots are grown in the ground, you’ll need to start by scrubbing and rinsing the carrots. Then hold the wide end of a carrot at a 45-degree angle to your cutting board and use a vegetable peeler to peel the bottom half. Veggie peelers have two blades, so you can peel carrots in both the downward and upward directions without even having to lift the peeler! Once the bottom half is peeled, flip it over and peel the top half.
Once your carrots are peeled, cut the top and the tip off. Then, cut the carrot in half, cut each section in half again, and then cut the halves into carrot sticks. You want the carrot sticks to be similar in size, if possible, so that they cook evenly.
How To Make Honey Glazed Carrots
- Prep Carrots: Wash, peel, and cut the carrots into sticks. Put the carrots sticks on a prepared baking sheet.
- Make Glaze: Put the butter and honey in and microwave-safe bowl and melt it in the microwave in 10-second intervals stirring until smooth. Pour the honey glaze over the carrots and stir until they are evenly coated.
- Season: Sprinkle the carrots with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Roast: Bake at 425˚F for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through, until the carrots are tender.
Looking for more ideas? Here are a few more ways that you can make this recipe.
Maple Glazed Carrots
To make maple glazed carrots, substitute the honey called for in this recipe for 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup. Then, follow the recipe as directed.
You can use Tri Color or Rainbow Carrots for additional colors and flavors! If you purchase baby or petite rainbow carrots, you can roast them without cutting them. But if they are larger, you will want to cut them into carrot sticks. Then, glaze and roast the carrots as directed in the recipe.
Air Fryer Roasted Carrots
Would you prefer to use your air fryer? You can use this recipe to make air fryer roasted carrots! Preheat the air fryer to 380˚F. Put the carrot sticks in a bowl and coat them with the honey glaze. Working in batches, air fry the carrots at 380˚F for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway through.
What To Serve With Glazed Carrots
The restaurant we visited served roasted carrots with whipped ricotta. Although they are delicious without it, the whipped ricotta makes them extra fancy! Beat ricotta with heavy cream and honey. Spread it on a platter or tray and top it with the honey roasted carrots.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
Allow leftover carrots to cool to room temperature, and then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat honey glazed carrots in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
How To Freeze Roasted Carrots
To freeze roasted carrots, allow them to cool first and then transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container. Store them in the freezer for 10-12 months. Reheat frozen carrots in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you do not have to peel carrots before eating or roasting them, but we prefer the look, taste, and texture of peeled carrots. Carrots are grown in the ground, so they do need to be thoroughly washed and scrubbed if you choose not to peel them.
To make savory roasted carrots, you can skip adding the honey and only coat the carrots with melted butter or olive oil instead. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary. This method is similar to my oven roasted vegetables recipe. Another savory option is to add a little balsamic vinegar!
These honey glazed carrots cook for 20-25 minutes.
You’ll Love These Veggie Recipes Too
Bring your roasted green beans to the next level by adding bacon! This is one of our favorite ways to cook beans.
Roasted asparagus is so easy to make with only four ingredients! It’s a great side dish to make year round.
Crispy oven roasted potatoes are simple to prepare. We love them with garlic and rosemary on top!
Honey Roasted Carrots
- 2 lb carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or use 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Place the peeled, sliced carrot sticks on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet.
- To make the honey glaze, melt the butter and honey in the microwave on high in 10-second intervals, stirring until combined.
- Pour the honey glaze over the carrots and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with minced thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bake at 425˚F for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender.