Oven Roasted Potatoes are soft and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. This easy side dish goes with so many meals and everyone loves them!
Potatoes are delicious in all their various forms from mashed potatoes to baked potatoes to French fries but there is just something about oven roasted potatoes that makes them totally irresistible!
We love our roasted potatoes crispy and creamy, buttery and salty and sprinkled with various spices and herbs. Sometimes we even sprinkle them with cheese and today I’m sharing how to make oven roasted potatoes.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Where is the recipe for oven roasted potatoes? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make oven roasted potatoes, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe and sharing a short video showing the recipe in motion. But you can go directly to the recipe by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
What potatoes to use for oven roasted potatoes
When making oven roasted potatoes, I usually choose new or baby potatoes. When cut into fourths they are the perfect size for eating. Plus, each piece has the potato skin on it.
As for the variety of potatoes, we use both red and yellow depending on what is available or what we already have on hand.
Regular, large potatoes can be used in this recipe too. Just cut them down into evenly sized pieces.
How to precook potatoes
To speed up the oven roasting time, I like to precook the quartered potatoes in the microwave. Simply cover the potatoes with water and cook on high for 8-10 minutes.
If you have enough time, you can skip this step and increase the oven roasting time.
How To Season Roasted Potatoes
After spreading the potatoes in a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings and stir to coat.
For this recipe, I used rosemary and garlic salt. Other oven roasted potatoes seasonings we like include salt and pepper, seasoned salt, garlic and herb, parmesan, lemon pepper, and onion.
What temp for oven roasted potatoes
Roast potatoes in the oven at 425˚F for 25-35 minutes, depending on whether or not you precooked the potatoes and how crispy you want them.
Roasting the potatoes is fairly hands off. They only need to be stirring once, halfway through baking. The potatoes are done once they are tender, golden brown, and crispy.
After removing them from the oven, you can drizzle them with melted butter, if you want something a little extra, and stir to coat. Taste the potatoes and add more seasonings if desired.
Oven Roasted Potatoes FAQs
1. What goes with oven roasted potatoes? You can enjoy oven roasted potatoes with steak, chicken, fish, burgers, brats, and ribs. They are also delicious as a breakfast side dish.
2. Can oven roasted potatoes be made ahead of time? Yes but the texture is better when they are eaten right after cooking.
3. Wondering how to reheat oven roasted potatoes? They can be reheated in the oven at 425˚F until heated through. Or reheat the potatoes in a frying pan with a little olive oil.
4. Can oven roasted potatoes be frozen? Yes, they can be frozen but again, they are best when fresh. Spread the cooked potatoes out in a single layer and place in freezer. Once frozen move them to an airtight container. When you are ready to reheat the potatoes, spread the frozen potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and back at 425˚F for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Wash the potatoes if necessary. Cut the potatoes into fourths.
- To precook the potatoes, put them in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Cook on high for 8-10 minutes and then drain.
- Spread potatoes in a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and garlic salt. Stir to coat.
- Bake at 425˚F for 25-35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until tender, golden brown and crispy. (The roasting time will depend on whether or not you precooked the potatoes and how big the pieces are.)
- Optional: Drizzle with melted butter and stir to coat. Taste and add more seasoning, if needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 432mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 2g Protein: 2g