Sausage pizza balls are a fun way to stuff the goodness of a sausage pizza into a bite size snack! These quick appetizers are similar to easy pepperoni rolls because they start with a refrigerator biscuit but they have pizza sauce and string cheese in them!
How many times do you think my family ate pizza last week? Well, I’m not actually sure that I have an accurate count because they eat a lot of meals away from home but I saw pizza consumed at least 3 times from Sunday through Saturday! Some of it was from a restaurant, some of it was frozen pizza and some was homemade pepperoni pizza. As you can see, we love pizza. Sausage pizza balls are just another way of making what we love. They can be an after-school snack, an appetizer or part of a meal.
To make the sausage pizza balls, flatten a refrigerator biscuit (I used Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits) into a circle about 3 1/2 inches wide. Top with a teaspoon of pizza sauce, a few sausage crumbles, a piece of string cheese or mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with oregano.
Gather the edges of the dough around the filling and pinch closed.
Put the balls into a greased pie pan with the seams on the bottom. Brush the tops with a beaten egg white and sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve the sausage cheese biscuits with more pizza sauce for dipping. This recipe only makes 10 pizza balls which are perfect for an after-school snack but when I am making these for more people, I use a 9×13 inch pan instead. I just follow the same recipe and increase the baking time a bit. I’ve had many questions about how to prepare pizza balls ahead of time. I keep promising that I am going to try freezing them but whenever I make pizza rolls of any kind, my pizza loving family (see above) eats them before I can freeze them! So, I will try to be sneaky by making some while the kids are at school and putting them in the freezer before they get home!
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Flatten the refrigerator biscuits to about 3 1/2 inches wide.
- Top biscuits with 1 teaspoon pizza sauce, a few sausage crumbles, a string cheese piece and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Gather the edges up around the toppings and pinch together at the top.
- Place the pizza balls into a greased pie pan with the seams on the bottom.
- Brush the tops with a beaten egg white.
- Sprinkle the tops with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with additional pizza sauce, if desired.
Here are a few more pizza ball recipes to try: