This Savory Dry Rub recipe is a great way to season chicken, ribs, and pork. Simply mix all of the spices together and rub onto the meat prior to cooking.
It’s not always convenient to purchase a seasoning mix or dry rub when you need it, especially during these times. This Savory Dry Rub is made from simple ingredients that you already have stocked in your pantry and spice rack.
Put the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
Can I make substitutions to any of the spices in the savory dry rub?
Yes, you can definitely use the spices and seasonings your family prefers or that you have on hand. Some easy swaps include the following:
- Brown sugar: use a brown sugar alternative for a sugar-free option
- Paprika: use smoked paprika for more flavor
- Coarsely ground black pepper: use regular black pepper
- Kosher salt: use sea salt or regular table salt
- Cayenne pepper: use crushed red pepper or chili powder
Stir the spices together to combine. Another way to doing this would be to put the ingredients in a ziptop bag and shake until combined.
Is it possible to turn this savory dry rub into a marinade?
Yes, you can use this savory dry rub to make a marinade.
- Savory Marinade: Mix together 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoon soy sauce, and 3 teaspoon savory dry rub.
- Zesty Marinade: Mix together 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoon vinegar, and 3 teaspoon savory dry rub.
- Add 1 pound of meat. Marinate for 30 minutes before cooking.
Pour or spoon all of the savory dry rub into a small jar or spice container. If you mixed the rub together in a ziptop bag, simply cut the corner of the bag and pour it into the jar.
Add a label to the front of the jar as a reminder of what spice mix it contains. Store the savory dry rub in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
This is the savory dry rub label I used for my spice jar. You can download the label HERE. Keep in mind that you will need to scale the image down when printing it to make it small enough for your jar.
Love sauces and seasonings? Try these next:
This Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe only has 5 ingredients and is ready in seconds! We use this seasoning blend on everything from bagels to chicken.
Here’s my Adobo Peppers Chipotle Sauce that can be used like any taco sauce. It is perfect on top of tacos or poured over chopped chipotle chicken.
This Stir Fry Sauce recipe can be used for vegetables, chicken, beef, shrimp, and pork. It is super easy to make and totally adaptable. Store in the fridge or freezer for later!
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce is easy to make and is perfect for everything from chicken to fish and veggies to rice.
This Garlic and Herb Chicken Marinade recipe makes the BEST juicy, tender, flavorful chicken that is a perfect main dish or delicious on a salad and pasta.
Savory Dry Rub
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
- Rub on chicken, ribs, or pork prior to cooking.