This Spicy Taco Squares recipe is a delicious party food made with puff pastry and your choice of toppings. It’s an easy appetizer for parties and game day!
When it comes to entertaining, it’s important to balance all of the desserts with delicious appetizers. You know me, I love my sweets but once the holidays roll around I get pretty overwhelmed by endless treats.
To make these Spicy Taco Squares, start by cutting thawed puff pastry sheets along the fold lines (in thirds) and then cutting each strip into 4 pieces.
Prepare the spicy taco cream cheese and spread about one tablespoon in the center of each puff pastry. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
While the squares are baking, prepare the toppings. Dice the tomatoes and slice the green onions.
To cut cilantro, I love using kitchen shears. Rinse the cilantro in water and gently dry with paper towel. Put some of the cilantro in a small bowl and use the kitchen shears to snip it into small pieces.
Once the spicy taco squares come out of the oven, top them with sour cream, chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions and cilantro. You can go crazy on the topping if you want and add all of your favorites like taco meat, sliced olives, diced onions, diced jalapenos, chopped peppers and diced avocado.
These spicy taco squares can be served warm or cold. If you want to prepare them ahead of time, refrigerate after preparing them and warm briefly before serving. Try making spicy taco squares as an appetizer for your next party or celebration!
- 3 sheets puff pastry dough thawed
- 2 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning mix about half of a one-ounce packet
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut thawed puff pastry along fold lines (in thirds). Cut each strip into 4 pieces.
- Place the squares on greased baking sheets.
- Beat softened cream cheese.
- Beat in mayonnaise, taco sauce and taco seasoning mix.
- Stir in cream cheese.
- Spread about one tablespoon in the center of each puff pastry.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions and cilantro.
- Can be served warm or cold.
This is a party sized appetizer with 36 servings. If you are making it for a smaller crowd, simply cut the amount of ingredients in half or in thirds.