Easy Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Recipe that is perfect for an after school snack, party appetizer and game day. Super simple to make with string cheese!
Each and every member of my family loves cheese! No, we are not from Wisconsin, but we might as well be called cheese heads!
One of our favorite ways to enjoy cheese is mozzarella sticks. We ALWAYS order them as an appetizer, no matter the restaurant.
My daughter came across some recipes online for making your own mozzarella sticks and really wanted to try it. So we came up with these baked mozzarella cheese sticks.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
I buy string cheese in bulk because like I said…we love cheese! I also used eggs, butter, flour, panko, Italian bread crumbs and pizza sauce.
How To Make Easy Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
We unwrapped the string cheese and cut it in half.
I added equal amounts of panko and Italian bread crumbs to a bowl.
I beat together 2 eggs and a little milk with a fork.
I put flour in a bowl and rolled each piece of cheese in the flour.
Next, the flour coated piece of cheese was dipped in the egg mixture.
Finally, we put the cheese in the breadcrumb mixture and covered it with crumbs.
Then, we pressed the crumbs onto the egg covered cheese.
This technique really helped the crumbs stick and kept our fingers cleaner.
We lined the mozzarella sticks up in a pan and placed the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
This hardens the cheese so that it doesn’t melt all over the oven while baking!
We removed the mozzarella sticks from the freezer and placed them on a baking sheet.
I melted a couple tablespoons of butter and drizzled it over the mozzarella sticks.
Then, we baked them at 400°F for about 8 minutes.
We dipped the baked cheese mozzarella sticks in pizza sauce.
They were everything we hoped they would be and for some reason, we thought they tasted a bit like grilled cheese!
Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Recipe
- Unwrap string cheese and cut in half.
- Put equal amounts of panko and Italian bread crumbs to a bowl and mix together.
- Beat together 2 eggs and a little milk with a fork.
- Put flour in a third bowl and roll each piece of cheese in the flour.
- Dip the flour coated cheese in the egg mixture and then coat with the bread crumb mixture.
- Place mozzarella sticks in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the mozzarella sticks from the freezer and place them on a baking sheet.
- Melt butter and drizzle it over the mozzarella sticks.
- Bake at 400°F for about 8-10 minutes.
- Dip mozzarella sticks in marinara or pizza sauce.
Looking for something with a little more flavor? Try Buffalo Ranch Mozzarella Sticks