This crispy Breakfast Potatoes recipe is a classic side dish that is easy to make. Home Fries are loved by everyone!
This Home Fries recipe pairs perfectly with our breakfast favorites, such as French toast, scrambled eggs, and pancakes.
We love it when breakfast potatoes are on the menu at our local cafes and diners. It’s such an easy dish to prepare at home, so we wanted to share our recipe with you.
What You’ll Find In This Post About Making Breakfast Potatoes
Ingredients Needed For Breakfast Potatoes
Five simple ingredients are all you will need to make golden, crispy breakfast potatoes.
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes are perfect for making this recipe. They are high in starch and low in moisture which, when fried, makes them turn golden brown and crispy on the outside while staying soft on the inside.
- Fats: The butter and olive oil keep the potatoes from sticking to the pan, add flavor, and help the potatoes come out nice and crisp.
- Seasonings: Seasoned salt and black pepper are all you need to make amazing home fries. However, you could add many different seasonings to these potatoes to suit your family’s taste!
How To Make Home Fries
While these tasty breakfast potatoes are simple to prepare, they do take a little extra time to brown up in the pan. The additional time at the stove is worth it, though, when your home fries come out perfect, crispy, and oh-so-good!
- Microwave: Partially cook the cubed potatoes in the microwave and drain well.
- Frying Pan: Fry the potatoes in butter and olive oil until golden brown.
We love this easy side dish as is, but sometimes it’s fun to add ingredients to make simple variations of this recipe! You can add more seasonings, include meat, add veggies, or load on the toppings.
Try adding other seasonings, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or dried rosemary. Add chili powder or red pepper flakes if you want to spice things up.
Adding cooked and crumbled sausage, bacon bits, or diced ham to your potatoes is a tasty way to introduce more protein!
Veggies Lovers Breakfast Potatoes
Mix in diced onions, diced peppers, mushrooms, or diced tomatoes for a veggie lovers version.
Loaded Breakfast Potatoes
So many different toppings would be perfect with these potatoes! Sour cream, sliced green onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits are a few that would go well.
Allow the potatoes to cool completely before transferring them to an air-tight container or zip-top bag. Store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can reheat them in the frying pan for best results or in the microwave if you are short on time.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
There are many names for potatoes you serve at breakfast. Some of the more common ones are hash browns, home fries, or crispy breakfast potatoes.
To make crispy breakfast potatoes, par-cook (partially cook) them in the microwave first and then finish by frying them in the pan. This ensures that the potatoes are cooked on the inside and are crispy on the outside.
Cut the potato into thick slices, then cut them into cubes.
Want more breakfast recipes? Try these next:
Want to make a restaurant-worthy omelet? Use this simple method to make a tasty breakfast in minutes!
Prepare these Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Burritos ahead of time and have a delicious morning meal on the go!
This Sausage Breakfast Casserole is an excellent meal to serve to guests or to prepare in advance for a stress-free morning.
Once you know how to cook bacon in the oven like this, you will never want to go back to buying pre-cooked bacon!
- 1 ½ lbs russet potatoes cubed
- 4 tablespoon salted butter divided
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Cook on high for 9-11 minutes and then drain well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of seasoned salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Allow the potatoes to cook without disturbing them until they start to brown. Then, turn the potatoes over, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of seasoned salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and allow them to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Turn the potatoes again and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and stir until coated.
Leave a Reply