Start the day with Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Burritos! You can make and freeze them ahead of time and warm them up as needed.
If your mornings always seem to be rushed, doing some meal prep ahead of time can help make things go smoother. We love having bacon egg and cheese breakfast burritos in the fridge or freezer all ready to warm up when we need them.
Start by making the bacon. Our favorite way to cook bacon is in the oven! Check out my tutorial for how to cook bacon in the oven here. Once the bacon has cooled, chop it into bits.
Can I use microwave bacon or store-bought bacon bits?
Yes, you can make these bacon egg and cheese breakfast burritos with microwave bacon or store-bought bacon bits. That being said, cooking the bacon yourself will give you the most delicious breakfast burritos!
Next, prepare the scrambled eggs. See my recipe for how to make scrambled eggs here. Only cook them until they are barely done so that they stay moist in the breakfast burritos.
Warm up the flour tortillas in the microwave between a couple of damp paper towels. Layer the scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, and bacon bits on top of the tortillas.
Once you’ve added the filling, fold up three sides of the tortilla forming a small pocket or envelope. Then, tightly roll up the burrito while keeping the filling in the center.
Wrap the bacon egg and cheese breakfast burritos in foil. At this point there are several options. You can bake them in the oven and serve them immediately. Or put them in the fridge to prepare in the next couple of days.
To freeze the bacon egg and cheese breakfast burritos for later, place the foil-wrapped burritos in a large, labeled freeze bag. Store them in the freezer for up to three months.
If you are making bacon egg and cheese breakfast burritos for potluck or for a crowd, you can keep them warm in a slow cooker. One of my husband’s coworkers used to bring breakfast burritos to work and that is how she kept them warm for everyone to grab as they got hungry.
What else can I add to these bacon egg and cheese breakfast burritos?
My family likes the classic combination of bacon eggs and cheese in their breakfast burritos. But the wonderful thing about this type of recipe is that it is easily customizable! You can add whatever your family likes or use what you have on hand.
- Meats: breakfast sausage, diced ham, or Canadian bacon
- Veggies: cooked diced potatoes, oven roasted vegetables, diced onions, diced peppers, sliced mushrooms
- Cheeses: shredded pepper jack, Monterey jack, colby jack, or American
Want more breakfast recipes? Try these next:
Make this Egg Bake recipe for overnight guests or for your family! This breakfast casserole has bacon, eggs, and cheese all in one dish.
Cinnamon sugar French Toast Casserole is the perfect breakfast for overnight guests or for a holiday brunch. It can be made ahead of time!
This Bacon Egg Cheese Bagel Sandwich meal prep recipe gives you breakfast for the week! Bake muffin tin scrambled eggs and store them in the fridge.
Tater Tot Breakfast Pizza recipe with crispy potatoes, scrambled eggs, melted cheese, crispy bacon, and sausage is a delicious breakfast or holiday brunch!
Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Burritos
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 12 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas warmed
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper. Melt the butter in a large skillet and scrambled the eggs until just cooked. See how to make scrambled eggs for detailed instructions.
- Place ½ cup of scrambled eggs on a warm flour tortilla. Top with ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons bacon crumbles.
- Fold over the top and the bottom of the tortilla. Then, roll it up into a burrito.
- Wrap the breakfast burritos in foil. Bake in the oven or warm in a slow cooker. Or store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Bake foil-wrapped breakfast burritos for 15-20 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.
- Slow Cooker: Bake the breakfast burritos in the oven as directed above and then place foil-wrapped burritos in a slow cooker on the warm (or lowest setting) to keep them warm. Or warm the burritos in a crockpot after refrigeration on low for 3-4 hours, move them around halfway through, or until the center reaches 165˚F.
- Refrigerator: Store foil-wrapped burritos in the refrigerator for up to three days. Remove the foil wrapper and warm in the microwave at 50% power for 2-3 minutes, until heated through. Or bake in the oven at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Freezer: Place foil-wrapped breakfast burritos in a large, labeled plastic bag. Freeze for up to three months. To microwave frozen burritos, remove the foil and cook at 50% power for 3-4 minutes, flipping after each minute, until heated through. It is helpful to cut the burrito in half before the final minute to get the center hot. To bake frozen burritos in the oven, preheat the oven to 350˚F. Remove the foil wrapping and place the breakfast burritos on a baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping them halfway through, or until center reaches 165˚F.