Start the day with this easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe that is perfect for holiday brunch and can be prepared ahead of time!
A breakfast casserole is a great way to make a holiday breakfast for overnight guests or even for your own family. Put everything in a casserole dish and pop it in the oven to bake!
What You’ll Find In This Post About Making Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients Needed For Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Egg and sausage breakfast casserole is easy to make with simple ingredients that you can mix and match to fit your family’s preferences!
- Bread: We added cubed bread to this breakfast casserole. The bread soaks up the eggs and milk and helps thicken the casserole.
- Meat: For this recipe, we used only cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage, but bacon bits and diced ham are delicious too.
- Cheese: We used shredded pepper jack and cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you can use any shredded cheese you prefer.
- Eggs: You’ll need a dozen large eggs for this egg bake.
- Milk: Whole milk adds moisture and creaminess to the casserole.
- Sour Cream: The sour cream adds additional moisture and flavor.
- Seasonings: This dish is seasoned with salt and black pepper.
How To Make Sausage Egg Casserole
This sausage and egg casserole is easy to make and can even be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator overnight!
- Dry Ingredients: Put the cubed bread, cooked sausage, and pepper jack cheese into the casserole dish.
- Wet Ingredients: After whisking the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper together, pour the mixture over the ingredients in the dish. Then, top it with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake: Bake the sausage breakfast casserole for 40-45 minutes.
If you want to skip adding the cubed bread, you can turn the casserole into a frittata. Follow the instructions (leaving out the bread) and bake until cooked through. Also, keep in mind that the casserole will be thinner, so you may want to add more eggs.
Meat Lovers Breakfast Casserole
Add more breakfast meats to the dish to make a meat lovers version! Try adding cubed ham, crumbled bacon, and diced Canadian bacon.
Veggie and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
To add veggies to this sausage breakfast casserole, you need to cook them first to ensure they are tender when the dish is done baking. Diced onions, diced peppers, sliced mushrooms, diced potatoes, and chopped asparagus are popular choices.
Allow the sausage breakfast casserole to cool completely before covering it and storing it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Another option is to cut the casserole into slices, wrap them in plastic wrap, place them in an airtight container or ziptop freezer bag, and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
Frequently Asked Questions Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Yes, you can prepare the casserole ahead of time, cover it and store it in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to bake, remove it from the refrigerator and place it on the counter while preheating the oven.
The main ingredients are eggs, milk, cubed bread, breakfast meat, and cheese. Depending on the recipe, it may include potatoes and diced veggies.
Want more breakfast recipes? Try these next:
Homemade Waffles are a family favorite with butter and syrup, or fresh fruit and whipped cream.
Who can resist a stack of golden brown French Toast topped with maple syrup and powdered sugar?
Soft, chewy, Baked Oatmeal is delicious when served warm. Top it with vanilla yogurt and fresh berries!
Tater Tot Breakfast Pizza has potatoes, scrambled eggs, melted cheese, crispy bacon, and sausage!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 4 slices white bread with crusts removed cubed
- 1 lb breakfast sausage cooked and drained
- 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese about 1 cup
- 12 eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese about 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Spread the cubed bread out in a greased 9×13-inch casserole dish. Add cooked, crumbled sausage and shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Beat the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Pour over the ingredients in the casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375˚F for 40-45 minutes, until cooked through.